3 General Questions

Share your experiences with others
nmchugh6

3 General Questions

#1 Post by nmchugh6 »

Installation- I understand there may be three types. One where the frame and fin (by the way, what is the fin) are removed and replaced along with the sashes. A second where the frame and sash are removed but the existing fin is re-used and a third where only the sash are removed and the replacement just slides in. Am I correct? What are the pros and cons?

Does anyone know if "life-time" warranty in NJ can be taken literally? (I think I've read that there may be different definitions (# of years) in each state.

Does Schuco carry three models..dual/air, dual/argon,triple/krypton..I just set up an appointment and was suprised to here dual/air was an option. Rep also mentioned Schuco is having a "triple pane special until the end of the month" (boy, what luck). Triple for price of double as long as you buy 12. I assume this is a pitch and I'm really not inclined to go with the three pane even if true. I understand the window gets very heavy. Am I being dumb? P.S. Live in NJ.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#2 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Double /no gas
Double /argon
Double/ krypton
Triple argon 1 layer low-e
Triple argon/ 2 layers low-e
Triple/ krypton 1 layer low-e
Triple/krypton 2 layers low-e
(Both chambers between the 3 panes filled with gas on the triples.)

Some Schuco dealers don't put all these options in their price books, so if a salesman says they only make a couple options, that is probably the truth he has been given as to not confuse things. (i.e. the kiss principle, "keep it simple, stupid".)

I for one don't promote many of the options available that I can order because I only sell and install very energy efficient windows.
If I were to let a customer decide to go with a much less desirable glass package only to save money, you can bet they would forget all about that little bit of money they saved on cheaper glass if their windows frosted up in the middle of the winter, and I would be called on the carpet to fix their "defective" windows. No thanks, I'd rather protect myself and my reputation and include well performing glass packages with all my quotes.

nmchugh6

#3 Post by nmchugh6 »

Thank you. Can you clarify please..are you saying dual pane is more prone to frosting? I understand triple helps with sound and wind, but frosting too? I'm leaning towards dual with SS. Is that a big mistake?

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#4 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Any window can get condensation and ice depending on conditions like the temperature and humidity in the home and even the type of blinds and curtains that are covering the windows. If you cover the windows too tightly with curtains and don't let the home's heat get to them, you lower the temperature at which condensation and ice will form. Just a couple of degrees can turn condensation into frost or ice. Metal spacers don't help the cause much either. They can transfer cold into the inside and contribute to ice production if you have a condensation problem on the new windows.
Getting a better glass package can reduce the possibility of condensation greatly. The aluminum replacement windows I installed 30 years ago had a CRF of 42, which believe it or not still exceeds the current mininum industry standard of CRF35 for condensation resistance. Those were some ice cube forming windows if I ever saw any. Many dual paned windows are now in the 50's or more, and the triple paned /krypton windows I install now are in the 70's for CRF. (Condensation Resistance Factor) That is one reason out of many that I prefer to provide super-insulated windows to my customers. As far as what this may cost you, I am usually lower in price than my dual paned competition, so if you look around and talk to the right contractors you don't necessarily have to spend a more to get the extra protection.

The good news is that most dual pane windows installed with low-e and argon won't have condensation issues, but then again, some will. No dealer will warranty against condensation or ice, and it is very important you realize this. It is up to you and only you to choose the products that will do the job based on your weather and your home's moisture and temperature conditions. If you think your home is moist and prone to window condensation, make the upgrade to better glass and a non-metallic spacer to minimize the chance of future problems.

nmchugh6

#5 Post by nmchugh6 »

Thank you for the information.....can you move to New Jersey and sell me some windows? :)
Regards