Window4U

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
windowshopper

Window4U

#1 Post by windowshopper »

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. The price of the 5100 is so close to the 5200 it seems it would not be worth considering.

With only $350.00 difference between the 5200 and 5300 for 11 windows both with double pane glass he recommends the 5300.

I will ask him about the price of a 5200 with the triple pane glass.

Could you please tell me in your opinion if it is worth it to pay $74.91 more per window for the 5300 just for a glass upgrade to the triple pane from the double pane and from argon to krypton?

He is willing to lock in the price of the windows for 2 years in writing, all I have to do is buy one window in order for him to do that. That seems unbelievable that he could or would do that.

Thanks

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#2 Post by Window4U (IL) »

First, the good news is the price he quoted for the triple w/krypton upgrade is exactly what he pays for it. (I just looked it up)
The 5200 is definitely a stouter and better looking window than the 5100, and would be a decent window for you with the triple glass w/krypton.
That said, I would definitely do a side by side comparison with the 5300 before you buy and have your rep explain in detail the differences between the two. That way you can make an educated decision on whether this is the right decision for the money you are saving.

As far as freezing the price, that's a pretty common thing to do. I always guarantee the same price for later whenever a customer doesn't do all the windows the first time.

windowshopper

#3 Post by windowshopper »

I don!t understand, if he is going to sell me the windows at his cost and also do vinyl caps and sell me the screen doors at his cost and be willing to show me what he pays for the screen doors to prove it, how is he going to make any money on the job? The only thing left is 2 entrance doors.

windowshopper

#4 Post by windowshopper »

I did get him to allow me a few more days to get the same prices but I don!t know if he has a 5200 to show me, he brought a 5300 sample with him and when I asked about the difference between the 2 he made a few remarks and did not act like he had one to show me. I had also told him ahead of time I was interested to know about the 5100 also. When I got him to give me more time he said he has already spent too much time on this, he was at my house about 2 hours or a little more the other night. I did not care for that comment. I am interested in the windows but want to make the decision that is right for me. As long as I am sincerely interested he should be willing to help because it is better for him if I buy so that he did not spend time for nothing.

Window4U (IL)

#5 Post by Window4U (IL) »

windowshopper wrote:I did get him to allow me a few more days to get the same prices but I don!t know if he has a 5200 to show me, he brought a 5300 sample with him and when I asked about the difference between the 2 he made a few remarks and did not act like he had one to show me. I had also told him ahead of time I was interested to know about the 5100 also. When I got him to give me more time he said he has already spent too much time on this, he was at my house about 2 hours or a little more the other night. I did not care for that comment. I am interested in the windows but want to make the decision that is right for me. As long as I am sincerely interested he should be willing to help because it is better for him if I buy so that he did not spend time for nothing.
The guy would definitely be making money on the job so don't worry about him. He is giving you the triple upcharge at cost, NOT the windows. On those he is making money.
My reaction to his comment of spending too much time on you would be to not do business with him under any circumstances. What a rude and assinine comment. It kind of makes you wonder if he will have time for you if you have problems with the windows AFTER you pay him. My educated guess is no.
Hear that Windowshopper? It's the sound of a red flag popping up.

Guy

#6 Post by Guy »

I agree. If a salesman has the nerve to pretty much tell you your wasting his time. Out comes the big old boot!!! W4U is so right about issues down the road. You should have the salesman bringing you breakfast in bed every morning. I'm the same way W4U is. When I give someone a price I stay wit it. Even down the road if it's possible and my prices haven't had a drastic change. To many quick deals going down all the time. Well good luck with your project. Be patient!

windowshopper

#7 Post by windowshopper »

What happened was I called him back by 9:00 the next day as I was supposed to. I questioned his story about better price as part of a bigger order and that told him his price would be the same on other days. He said his price would be the same but he would get the glass free and give it to me free also as part of the bigger order for a college. He did say up front that he was giving me the triple pane at double pane cost. Then I asked him if he would lock in the price if I bought one window how would he give me the same price later for the rest of the windows since they were not part of the bigger order. He said he would piggy back them on another order. My thoughts at that point were that if you could piggy back 10 windows later for the same price you could piggyback all eleven later but I did not say that at the time. I told him I needed more time so he gave me until 12:00.
When I called back at 12:00 I told him that I thought for the most part he had been straight with me but as far as I was concerned this sign by today to get this price was a sales tactic. At that point he said I have already spent too much time on this and you are paying less than other people for the window. I said I am telling you I am interested in the Gorell window but I am looking into an equity loan because I am in the process of starting some other work on the house also. He then told me I could have the days necessary to step through the loan process and he would give me the same price.

This guy had sent me many different references with phone numbers from people and colleges all saying they would gladly talk to any future customers about his work and company and highly recommend him.

He seemed pretty straight but even the straight ones seem to make somestatements that don!t add up.

He said argon gas will leak out over time but krypton gas will not. I find that very hard to believe.

He said he could get Schuco for less money if I wanted to downgrade, I don!t know which model he was refering to. He mentioned the balance system as being a Coldwell but it seems he was talking about it as if it were an old spiral type or something similar and did not recommend it. He said the Schuco wasn!t even in the same class. Wrong again.

MikeD

#8 Post by MikeD »

Window4u, where are you? I've sent you an email twice but no replies?!? If you have been too busy then sorry for "bothering" you. :(
Time is running out as I do not know the details about the home show at Springfield, IL this weekend. If anyone knows please share. Thanks.

Window4U (IL)

#9 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Mike, ....I have been out of town for a few days and haven't had access to the internet to reply to all my emails. I got home last night at 2:30a.m., so I'll email you today with show info as soon as I find your email in the huge pile of emails I have today.
I look forward to seeing you.

MikeD

#10 Post by MikeD »

Window4u, I did a search for the home show under "Prairie Capital Convention Center" and found it! It's located on 1st Convention Center Plaza. I'm planning on going there around noon Sat unless plans change at the last minute which I hope it won't. See you there!

Window4U (IL)

#11 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Great! See you there. I'll have a 32' Schuco Mobile Showroom and some large Marvin displays as well as some smaller samples of other vinyl brands I carry, and even a new Leaffilter(.com) display set up. From what I saw today at the center, it looks to be a good show.