French door recommendation?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
melbb

French door recommendation?

#1 Post by melbb »

We will be replacing all of our windows (maybe with Simonton), but have 2 windows right next to each other that we want to replace with double french doors. We want the french doors to swing out, too. Any recommendations?

Skydawggy.

#2 Post by Skydawggy. »

http://www.precisionentry.com/index.aspx

Not the cheapest, but they are great quality.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

Re: French door recommendation?

#3 Post by Window4U (IL) »

melbb wrote: We want the french doors to swing out, too. Any recommendations?
Be careful unless you have some secondary protection above the door like an overhang or porch. On an out-swinging door the gaps between the door jamb and the door are weak points to wind driven water infiltration. A little bit of secondary protection could make the difference between having a sweet door and a wet floor.

A multi-point locking system for security would be good too. It would scare most of you french door owners half to death if I showed you how I could open your locked french doors from the outside in 5 seconds or less.

FenEx

#4 Post by FenEx »

"It would scare most of you french door owners half to death if I showed you how I could open your locked french doors from the outside in 5 seconds or less."

Hmmm... sounds like someone has a sideline business. Let me know if you have any late model plasma tvs for sale.

melbb

#5 Post by melbb »

Window4U (IL) wrote:
melbb wrote: We want the french doors to swing out, too. Any recommendations?
Be careful unless you have some secondary protection above the door like an overhang or porch. On an out-swinging door the gaps between the door jamb and the door are weak points to wind driven water infiltration. A little bit of secondary protection could make the difference between having a sweet door and a wet floor.

A multi-point locking system for security would be good too. It would scare most of you french door owners half to death if I showed you how I could open your locked french doors from the outside in 5 seconds or less.
Okay. So you are saying that all out-swing doors are bad without a porch or something? The reason we want an outswinging door is because the windows are in a breakfast nook and we don't want the door opening into our table. We are also thinking about adding a sunroom off that location and thought the french doors would be nice. So sliding doors aren't really an option with the track. Ugh. The windows are rotting, so I have to do something and am stuck it seems. Thanks.

Window4U (IL)

#6 Post by Window4U (IL) »

melbb wrote:
Okay. So you are saying that all out-swing doors are bad without a porch or something?
No, I'm just trying to get you to ask yourself the proper questions about your situation before you purchase so you don't end up with an unexpected problem. Outswing doors are a fine choice in many situations.
If it's under an overhang or is on a fairly protected side of your home, then no big concern. If it's on a side of your home with no overhang where you get hammered by wind and rain, then maybe consider what I said about this type door's weaknesses, and plan a solution into your door planning.

Window4U (IL)

Re: reply

#7 Post by Window4U (IL) »

FenEx wrote: Hmmm... sounds like someone has a sideline business. Let me know if you have any late model plasma tvs for sale.
If I did do that kind of sideline FenEx, I wouldn't go through the french doors, .......I'd just take out a key and pop the glass stops off the vinyl windows to get in. Image
(humor from a thread in another forum)

Terry Toolman

Re: reply

#8 Post by Terry Toolman »

[quote="FenEx"]"It would scare most of you french door owners half to death if I showed you how I could open your locked french doors from the outside in 5 seconds or less."

I would be interested in how this is done and if it can be done to all brands of doors. What about the dead bolt locks on these doors? I have 12 exterior French doors on my house and am needing to replace them for other reasons, but am wondering if I should do something else. You can PM if this is something that should not be posted on this site. Thank you.

Window4U (IL)

#9 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Just make sure the new ones have a multi-point locking system if you are getting true french doors where both doors swing open.

FenEx

#10 Post by FenEx »

Hey Terry

That wasn't my quote.

Check the previous posts... It was a repeat from another poster.