Schuco vs. Marvin Infinity Quote: What I'm I missing?

Share your experiences with others
mx818

Schuco vs. Marvin Infinity Quote: What I'm I missing?

#1 Post by mx818 »

After much research I thought the Schuco window would be a great choice. But I am having a hard time understanding that the cost of the Schuco is 105% more than the Marvin Infinity. (Basically 23K more :( )

12 openings and 1 9' patio door.
Full window replacement.

Is there something I am missing here? Or is the Schuco dealer trying to take advantage of my situation. (1 window rotted and fell out, 1 will if I open it and all others rotting. 7 year old home.:evil::evil: )

Any info appreciated.
Thanks!

NuttyWindowGuy

#2 Post by NuttyWindowGuy »

What about the Pella Impervia? I don't have the Schuco brand locally, so I don't know anything about them. But what I'm waiting to hear back on is a quote from the Pella Impervia. I don't have the estimate in hand yet, but the sales guy portrayed to me the Impervia would be much cheeper than the Marvin Infinity.

I'm new at window purchasing, so take it for what its worth.

mx818

#3 Post by mx818 »

Not familiar with the Impervia. I had Pella out and they didn't offer that window as an option, I didn't ask for it either. Pella was pretty spendy, much more than the Infinity window. 13K plus. But again I did not compare Impervia to Infinity.
Thanks!

NuttyWindowGuy

#4 Post by NuttyWindowGuy »

What were you quoted on the Marvin Infinity? I'm curious. Granted, we probably live in two different areas of the U.S. and therefore there's a different "price index," but I was quoted $11,145 for 15 Marvin Infinity windows. Or $743 a window installed. I've got two smaller windows and 13 that are 36x54.

I live in the South, so I would think that my cost would be cheaper from where ever you are, but who knows, maybe you've got a really good deal.

Again, I don't know if the Pella Impervia is any good. I think there's another discussion board on this Web site where people don't like the look compared to the Marvin Infininty (I'm kind of thinking that too). However, again, without an actual quote, I'm thinking they'll come in around $8,250 – just about as much as our highest vinyl quote.

mx818

#5 Post by mx818 »

I would be pleased to come close to your quote. Not sure if we are comparing apples to apples or not. My Infinity quote includes Everwood, staining and Full window replacement.

Here is a post I put on another site.

I have 12 window openings consisting of 16 casements, 2 picture windows and 6 transoms. (24 windows) None of the windows are of standard size.

1 large triple slider patio door.

Quotes:
Pella from Pella Architect Series with full replacement and no stain: $34,000
Pella from Lowes - version of Archetect full replacement/ no stain : $22,000
Renewal w/pine vaneer no stain : $25,000
Schuco with full replacement and no stain : $44,000
Marvin Infinity with everwood and full replacement and stain : $22,600
Home Depot Sequel - would only give quote in person. Told them
to fax and never heard back from them.
Hayfield - Vinyl insert replacement no stain : 12,000 - $15,000
Alside Excaliber - full replacement with stain : $17,000

I am leaning towards the Marvin Infinity Quote as the installer has been recommended to me and the quote is a little lower than most.
Does this quote sound like it is reasonable?

I personally rated the windows as such? Do you agree?
1. Schuco
2. Infinity
3. Pella
4. Renewal
5. Alside
6. Hayfield

NuttyWindowGuy

Eeh

#6 Post by NuttyWindowGuy »

Ah. Now looking at things, it's hard to compare your project with mine, since we're dealing with different kinds of windows (double hung vs. casement) and sizes.

It sounds like you are in the same boat I was in recently. You need to decide on wood, wood/clad, vinyl or fiberglass first. You are comparing apples to oranges and not apples to apples.

I drove myself insane getting quotes for vinyl products only to realize I didn't really like vinyl. I can't get wood because my wife refuses to paint! That leaves the fiberglass for me. The only ones around here that do fiberglass are Marvin and Pella (Impervia). I'm still waiting to get my quote back for the Pella Impervia, but all-in-all, the Marvin looks better and I can do grilles on the outside of the glass, whereas in the Impervia, you can only do grilles within the glass. Again, it's a personal taste.

Again, I don't know whether fiberglass is any better or not. Some people have said they are not "sold" on it yet, which I can respect that. But in my confused brain I can justify the product, for it doesn't need painting and the Marvin Infinity is designed to look more architecturally pleasing than other vinyl products I've seen.