SAFETY AND DOUBLE HUNG WINDOWS

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
DANGAR777

SAFETY AND DOUBLE HUNG WINDOWS

#1 Post by DANGAR777 »

My 15 year old son saw a engineering flaw in Alpha and Gorell double hung vinyl windows. It seems that when the window is open it would be easy to pull the top down and climb into the house. It seems a security risk. The Schuco windows seemed safer, but we did not like the salesman and they were very expensive. Does anyone have any suggestions for us. We need 2 casings, 1 picture window, 2 double hung and 5 slider windows, but security and price is important to us.

Skydawggy.

#2 Post by Skydawggy. »

Holy shite !!!! How in the heck did the engineers let this glaring design flaw escape without being noticed. I'm sending AAMA an email and recommending a complete recall of every double hung window ever sold. How would your 15 year old son suggest the engineers redesign the window so this can't happen?

Of course, it would be easier to get a screwdriver, pop out the glazing strips and remove the glass.
But, I believe we should focus on one design flaw at a time.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

Re: SAFETY AND DOUBLE HUNG WINDOWS

#3 Post by Window4U (IL) »

DANGAR777 wrote:My 15 year old son saw a engineering flaw in Alpha and Gorell double hung vinyl windows. It seems that when the window is open it would be easy to pull the top down and climb into the house. It seems a security risk.
Engage the night latches on the interior face of the top sash. This will allow for a few inches of ventilation from either the bottom or top sash while still maintaining a modicum of security. There is no engineering flaw.

uto

#4 Post by uto »

Consider using Milgard Classic double hungs. The top sash has a separate lock at the top of the top rail and is in addition to the double locks on the meeting rail.

Message to 15 year old son. Engineering may not be a good choice. Stay in school.

DANGAR777

#5 Post by DANGAR777 »

Unfortunately there are no dealers in New York that sell Milgard. Do you have any other suggestions?

FenEx

#6 Post by FenEx »

"It seems that when the window is open it would be easy to pull the top down and climb into the house."

If the window is open, why would they pull down the top sash and climb over when they can just crawl through the open bottom? Do you see a screen as being a deterent? I'm thinkin' this is why the the fenestration industry decided to put locks on the windows.