Question for Fenex

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
TheTruth

Question for Fenex

#1 Post by TheTruth »

Can existing glass in a wood sash of a 100 year old home be salvaged and incorporated into a new IG unit? Specifically, on the inside, so the exterior new glass can be coated with Low-e?

If so, who could do this? Thanks in advance.

windowmann2000

#2 Post by windowmann2000 »

I'm not FenEx but I have had this done and I'm sure FenEx can fill in the blanks. I'm only chiming in because it gets expensive. My sister had some very ornate glass in a large window in her stairway landing to the second floor. Since the entire sash was in need of some repair and the glass needed to be re-glazed we rebuilt the sash and made a new step in it to house the new glass pack, after that we hand delivered the glass to a glass house where they made an IG using swiggle and hard coat low-e. Our overall IG was over one inch because of the thicker inside pane. And now the rest of the story. My sister didn't like it because of the blueish hue you saw when looking at it from the outside and she also didn't like the fact that the new unit didn't show off the ornate glass as much as it did previously. So after all my efforts which I never charged her for I'm out quite a few bucks and she doesn't like it. To make things better you can see the seal has failed but she doesn't know it because it's not that bad yet........................see where I'm going, if someone asked me to do it again I would ask $2000.00 for the job and if they accepted that offer I'd raise it to $4000.00 etc etc etc

FenEx

#3 Post by FenEx »

Looks like the question was already answered. As long as the original pane of glass is flat around the edges (no caming), it could be made into an IGU. The problem is, as the original is very old and would not be replaceable if broken, and manufacturer faces the handling liability and a custom setup ($$$). As I tell many of my customers that get creative ideas, "Just about anything is possible these days... with three limitations... My ideas, Your ideas, and Your Checkbook!"

If space allows, it would be cheaper to provide a separate, thin IGU outside of the glass you wish to keep. A good example of this would be the Pella triple panes used for their enclosed blinds. The inside pane is not sealed. You would need to leave an air space AND create a few breather holes to reduce condensation and heat build between the new IGU and the old inside pane.

TheTruth

#4 Post by TheTruth »

Thanks for the help. My questions were answered.