Comfort Design vs. Amerimax

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
md from Cal

Comfort Design vs. Amerimax

#1 Post by md from Cal »

I am considering replacement retrofit windows from these two manufacturers. I am leaning toward Comfort Design but they are about 8K higher with low e3 and argon. I have 29 windows so it is a big job. Any thoughts from the window experts on which is better or if there is a difference? Thanks for your help.

Windows on Washington

Re: Comfort Design vs. Amerimax

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Low e-3 should not be that much of an option and is not worth near the 8K delta.

Cheryl (Fenessa)

#3 Post by Cheryl (Fenessa) »

Hi Md from Cal,

As far as the Loe3 goes, whether or not it will lead to lower energy costs depends on which area in California that you live. Generally speaking, if you live in an inland area where your summer cooling costs out-pace your winter heating costs, then it is a good value for you. If the opposite is true, you will actually spend more on energy with Loe3, because you will lose the positive heat gain you might expect in the winter months.

Keep looking - you have many great product choices in California.

FenEx

#4 Post by FenEx »

MD

"As far as the Loe3 goes, whether or not it will lead to lower energy costs depends on which area in California that you live. Generally speaking, if you live in an inland area where your summer cooling costs out-pace your winter heating costs, then it is a good value for you."

I will completely disagree with Cheryl (Fenessa).

At $8,000 more, in no way shape or form is that a good value for you regardless of where you live in Ca.

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

I have read a bunch of Cheryl's comments and I think she was probably not referring to the 8K delta when she talked about it being a good value. No way will you ever...in 3 lifetimes recover the extra 8K on Low-e 3

Cheryl (Fenessa)

#6 Post by Cheryl (Fenessa) »

Perhaps I was not clear enough in my answer...I was speaking of the use of Loe3 IN GENERAL in California. To me it was so obvious that 8K was ridiculous that I didn't even address it. Of course, whether or not it is a good value depends on the price you will pay for the option as well. However, if you live in a coastal area where your heating bills are higher than your cooling bills, even getting it free will cost you more in the long run.
In the recent release from the DOE, one of the possible changes to the Energy Star Program is directed at utilizing positive solar gain in the winter for Northern Regions by raising the SHCG number and lowering it in Southern Regions to address cooling costs. Other recommendations are included as well, including lowering U-Values in Northern Regions and requiring IGU certification.