Marvin infinity windows

Share your experiences with others
orowe

Marvin infinity windows

#1 Post by orowe »

I would like to get some feed back on the Marvin Infinity windows. Who has them, and what likes or dislikes do you have.

Puddin

Re: Marvin infinity windows

#2 Post by Puddin »

We had Marvin Infinity windows installed 2 weeks ago. The windows are great, but: We just tried today to have some minor service done. One handle to open window missing - 1/2 opening in screen where frame was installed too far to left - the chaulk odor is overwhelming. If the windows are open - fine. But when we closed the windows and turned on the air - OMG - and it's been 2 weeks. Will ask them about this. When called for service - no answer 2X. Left voice messages - no answer yet. Emailed Operations Manager. Will advise outcome.

TheWindowNerd

#3 Post by TheWindowNerd »

The issues posted are installation related and not the products fault.
Again an example how important the two peices of the pie are, product and installation.

pondscum

#4 Post by pondscum »

I am still waiting for a quote on Infinity and would be interested in comments as well. From reading the archives, it appears that these are generally considered a top-quality window..... but why? Because they look nice? :roll: After digging around I found that, in spite of the fiberglass, they are only rated DP30, and I can't find the air infiltration numbers anywhere (beyond that they meet the <.3 standard, which isn't really saying much nowadays). Likewise the thermal performance doesn't match that of top-quality vinyl, either. So, I'm puzzled about why they are so highly regarded.

It looks to me like Marvin's Integrity line may be a better-quality window than the Infinity if it fits your installation requirements. At least the Integrity DHs are rated DP40-DP45, depending on size. I can't find the air infiltration numbers on the Integrity either. Anyway, the all-Ultrex Integrity comes in custom sizes now and the installer who handles both lines in this area wants to do a full-frame install, so it's in the mix for me as well as Infinity.

Comments?

TheWindowNerd

#5 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Different DP ratings can be had with the same model of window, cmr reinforcement and glass thickness.
I would find the air infiltration #s.

erk

#6 Post by erk »

The reality of the dp rating is that a window maybe able to handle a stronger sustained wind load but no window will handle the impact of debris in that wind load. Basically a dp 30 and a dp 50 window have virtually the same chance of survival in a hurricane. If a branch hits your window at over a 100 mph it doesn't matter what your dp rating is.

erk

#7 Post by erk »

The Marvin Infinity window is an outstanding replacement window. There are a number of benefits for an all fiberglass frame and sash including strength, durability and of course beauty. Fiberglass is much stronger than vinyl therefore you don't have to worry about bowing and warping on your windows and you don't lose any glass size. In some cases you may even gain some glass size due to Marvin being able to manufacture thinner frames without sacrificing structural integrity. Also for those people out there with stained inside trim in their home Marvin has provided the Everwood option which is a stainable fiberglass finish which looks identical to real wood (even touching the finish you would think you were touching wood). You definitely get what you pay for with the Infinity line. The integrity line is also nice, but not for basic insert installation. Also you have the maintainance factor due to the pine interior. The window is beautiful though.

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

Somebody get this gentleman a job with Marvin. That is the best read I have seen in a while.

FYI...I sell Marvin so don't think I am busting your chops for personal motivations.

minnesotashopper

#9 Post by minnesotashopper »

I asked the local Marvin Infinity rep to quote my 66"x66" picture window and I was surprised when he informed me that my window was too big for either Infinity or Integrity and I had to choose a Marvin wood window instead. Does anyone know of a fiberglass window manufacturer who produces custom windows of this size and greater?

buddy11

#10 Post by buddy11 »

minnesotashopper wrote:I asked the local Marvin Infinity rep to quote my 66"x66" picture window and I was surprised when he informed me that my window was too big for either Infinity or Integrity and I had to choose a Marvin wood window instead. Does anyone know of a fiberglass window manufacturer who produces custom windows of this size and greater?

I think the rep is mistaken. Here are the limitations from my spec sheet for th insert (Infinity)

Size Limitations:
Maximum IO Width = 72 3/8" Maximum IO Height = 71 3/4"

minnesotashopper

#11 Post by minnesotashopper »

Thanks for the reply, buddy. My window will not be an insert but a full frame, down to the studs installation. Would that make any difference?

minnesotashopper

#12 Post by minnesotashopper »

I just called Marvin and they explained that they just started introducing a larger size window that can fit large openings, like my window and its called the polygon. He said that the window has no sash and is just a frame. I couldn't get my head around what he meant so he's sending a sample down to the local Infinity dealer so that I can takea look. Will report what I find out.

Bud

#13 Post by Bud »

I looked at several styles of windows - including all vinyl, vinyl covered wood, fiberglass, aluminum covered wood and wood. For me the choice was pragmatic: what did I need & would do the job versus getting the very best regardless. I ended up choosing Andersen 200 series vinyl clad wood. The best windows out there [imho] are the fiberglass Marvin windows BUT...there are very pricey and nobody around here [upstate SC] puts them in EXCEPT for a couple of dealers who put them into high 6 figure & up lake & golf resort homes. The Marvin site and those I called at Marvin weren't very helpful either! With the Andersen Series 200, I saved about $200/window compared to other similar quaility & performance windows and maybe $300 or more vs. the fiberglass windows. I opted out of all-vinyl windows because most of them have reduced glass area per the opening per wide framing. I also advise working backwards - find an installer with a good rep. and have him help you sort through all the dealers, styles & brands. The independent installers know what's good and what's not so good. Plus, you have one contact for service and not the dealer versus installer 'who shot John' exercise should issues arise after the installation.