Here's what a Schuco doublehung looks like

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!

What's your first impression of the Schuco doublehung window?

Looks like a really good window.
75%
I don't see any real difference.
10%
What's the big freakin deal? I sell windows just as good.
5%
Hold on , let me run and get my checkbook!
5%
Windows? What windows? I don't see no windows.
5%

Total votes: 20

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

Here's what a Schuco doublehung looks like

#1 Post by Window4U (IL) »

http://www.schuco-windows.com/pages/8/index.htm

**********You have to log in to vote**************

I know there are both homeowners and window pros on this site who have never seen a Schuco Window and are curious what they look like, so I have put a few comparison photos of other name brand windows up next to Schuco windows on my second website (which has not been professionally built yet, so please excuse the non-existant design).
There are many more features to the window than shown, like the TPS seals, triple low-e super insulated glass w/krypton gas, triple weatherstripping everywhere, steel reinforcement, and a choice of lock designs, but this may be helpful in seeing what they look like for those of you curious. I know I get curious of windows I've never seen before.
Last edited by Window4U (IL) on Fri Nov 19, 2004 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chrisc

#2 Post by chrisc »

Who makes the other window? They don't even look like they are in the same price bracket. Kind of like comparing a Yugo to a Lexus.

Window4U (IL)

#3 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Every picture in the left row is a different major manufacturer. 7 different windows in all. These photos are from sample windows in my showroom.

earwax

#4 Post by earwax »

If those are the samples in your show room from other manufactures, either you need to get a different brand or the manufacturer needs to get a new rep who will take care of the display better. The Schuco window is a nice window though.

Window4U (IL)

#5 Post by Window4U (IL) »

These windows are salesman's samples, not showroom displays. There are at least 50 of these under the tables lining one wall of my office. You can pick any of them at random and have the same type photos no matter the brand.
The average vinyl window does not do well with an "up close and personal" macro lense in flourescent lighting.

earwax

#6 Post by earwax »

does Schuco have there own website that is up and running?

Window4U (IL)

#7 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Yes. It's http://www.schuco-usa.com
This site was put together overseas for the combined divisions of the company, which targets architects and builders in the solar and aluminum commercial fields.
The vinyl window section was put up as a temporary site until the new and separate consumer vinyl window site is developed here in the U.S.
I have had a small hand in the planning of the new site, and I can say with certainty it's going to be very nice, with very consumer friendly features which I think everyone who sees it in the future will appreciate.

Delaware Mike

#8 Post by Delaware Mike »

Window4u,
I have a whole bunch of samples with all the things I hate about low budget windows in the back of my shop as well. It seems when I'm not around some newbie sales rep leaves an old sample his boss told him to toss out in my store in hopes that somehow I'll be so impressed that I'll just want to switch suppliers and sell his early 90's window!

To the point, what is the correct term for that type of fusion weld? I've seen that recessed weld before, but it is less common than what most manufacturers use.

Window4U (IL)

#9 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Mike,
Schuco calls it a "shadow groove". I'm not sure what the other couple companies that do it call it.

window4u@insightbb.com

Delaware Mike

#10 Post by Delaware Mike »

Window4U,
Thanks, that is a neat name. One of my friends that I don't work with anymore called it a "liquid weld." I was like, what the heck does that mean? Do they poor hot melted vinyl in there, or did you make that up after watching Terminator 2?

Window4U (IL)

#11 Post by Window4U (IL) »

I'm not sure of competing methods used to make joints similar to this, but when I was at the Schuco factory a couple weeks ago I saw how they did theirs. They have a computerized robotic machine that routs out all the corners at one time. Robotic arms everywhere. It's a pretty scary looking machine fit for a terminator movie. :shock:

earwax

#12 Post by earwax »

MOst all american windows companies use similar manufacturing inquipment. The shodow groove is used by some, the flush is used by other and the raised is used by most. There is no extra cost the to manufacturer to make either one. I don't know why more don't use the shodow groove. I can weaken the weld if not monitored during production, but that shoudl not stop them from using it I believe.

The three different weld types that are created when cleaning the corners are from what is called the scarf in a cnc cleaner.

Calaveras_Kid

#13 Post by Calaveras_Kid »

The shadow groove looks ok, but I feel the flush cut clean is the nicest looking. The shadow groove is one of the most popular cstyle, but the flush cut cleaning give the window a nicer look. The only drawback on the flush cut is that you have to monitor the quality very closely. Another benifit to the flush cut is the scarf knives can be sharpened in house much easier that sending them out to be sharpend.

Mike B

#14 Post by Mike B »

Interesting, I always thought the shadow cut was far and away the best looking weld type. It's one of the 192 reasons I bought the Schucos...

Mike B

Windowman PA

SHAWDOW GROVE

#15 Post by Windowman PA »

MOST WINDOW MANUFACTURES USE SUCH A LOW QUALITY VINYL OR ITS SO THIN THEY ARE NOT ABLE TO SHAWDOW GROVE! IT'S OKAY TO LOOK AT OUTSIDE OF YOUR WINDOWS BUT DO LOOK AT WHAT MAKES UP INTERIOR :D