Need advice on replacing windows in 180 year old Cape!!!

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
newwindows02

Need advice on replacing windows in 180 year old Cape!!!

#1 Post by newwindows02 »

I've got an 1820's Cape Cod that currently has aluminum casements. We need to replace all of the windows, and we're trying to be as historically accurate as we can, given the situation.

The previous owners installed aluminum siding on the exterior of the house, which we are not planning on changing. We would like to replace the old casements with new double hungs. We are hesitant about using vinyl replacements, obviously wood windows would be more true to the originals. Money is not much of a consideration, but labor may be.

We are pretty serious DIY-ers, but have not ever dealt with windows other than a small kitchen window which we successfully replaced. I was planning on having a contractor sell us a houseful of windows, run me through the installation of one or two and tackle the rest ourselves.

Would it simply be too involved and/or expensive to go with new construction wood windows? If so, anyone have any good suggestions as to where we should go given our desire to maintain the character of the house as much as possible?

What is the level of expertise and/or labor needed to deal with a new construction window versus a vinyl replacement?

Thanks for any advice!!

Guy

#2 Post by Guy »

If your thinking of DIY installation then have someone help you or show you how. Getting a proper seal from the outside is important. I would check with your local inspector and find out what's acceptable in your area. Do you have to fall under any Hurricane Code? If so you need to know who you can deal with. If the house has aluminum siding then vinyl or aluminum clad is ok. I would research this well.

Guy

earwax

#3 Post by earwax »

look at the posting by kremerrer, renewal by anderson. It will answer most questions.

Dan the Window Man

#4 Post by Dan the Window Man »

Buy this months Fine Homebuilding (magazine)! The cover story is all about different types of windows and installation methods! I've been in the business for a long time and found it to be a great article! Hope it helps!

DanTheWindowMan