Dakota Windows from Lowes...anyone?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
linsou

Dakota Windows from Lowes...anyone?

#1 Post by linsou »

I haven't been successful in finding any customer reviews/ratings on the
Dakota windows...anywhere.

We would like to make use of Lowe's 12 mo No Int/No Pmt for replacement windows...
we aren't crazy about the Pellas carried in-store, and don't know anything about their
other brand either (sorry, can't remember what it is).

So...anyone have any input on the Dakota windows?

Thanks
Linda S.

glockgemini

Re: Dakota Windows from Lowes...anyone?

#2 Post by glockgemini »

I have replaced all my windows with the Dakota vinyl with argon and southern low E for Houston TX. The windows look nice and the mechanical function is good.. My only question is how well they should actually insulate. To test it, I placed a digital thermoometer on the window sill.

Outside temp was 94
House temp was 74
Window in sun and thermometer in sun was 84
Window in sun and thermometer in shade was 82
Window in shade was 78

I haven't found anybody knowledgable to tell me if this is proper insulation or not. The installer was clueless. It sounds a bit on the warm side for me but not nearly as bad as the builder's grade double pane nothings the builder used.

Randy

#3 Post by Randy »

I have replaced all my windows with the Dakota vinyl with argon and southern low E for Houston TX.
While the installation may very well be A problem, the main problem is most likely with the Low-E used. Do you know which Low-E you got? Or, do you know what the SHGC on your windows? If it is .29 - .31, you did not get a "southern low E for Houston", you got a general low-e. The optimal low-e for Houston will have a SHGC (window as a whole) of .21 - .22. Cardinal's Low-E366, PPG's Solarban70, or Guardian's Climaguard 55/27 are the best choices for our climate.

As to the installation,iIf your windows were caulked without any type of perimeter expanding foam, they may very well be letting the outdoor air infiltrate around the new windows.

bbtex

#4 Post by bbtex »

I am considering the Dakota windows as well, and was just wondering if linsou decided to go with the Dakota's and what you think of them. Also, perhaps glockgemini has an update on the quality/durability of the windows. Looking for some reviews from anyone. Thanks.

N728PR

#5 Post by N728PR »

I purchased Dakota vinyl windows for my home and I love them. They made the house very
energy efficient and were very easy to clean. I would highly recommend the product.

ADuncan

#6 Post by ADuncan »

Hey! Does anyone know what ever happened to Dakota Windows? Any contact information on them? I am needing a replacement and need to know if I'm still under warranty. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#7 Post by masterext »

The fact that Lowes offered Dakota leads me to believe that Dakota decided to enter the screen window for submarine business.