Replacing Old Sliders with New Double Hung Windows

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
porter

Replacing Old Sliders with New Double Hung Windows

#1 Post by porter »

Hello,

I was wondering if the Video shows how to replace the old Slider type windows with new double hung windows. I had a window guy come out and give me an estimate to replace my windows and he said that the reason his estimate was so high was that his guys would have to go in and cut into the wood "with a special machine" so that the new double hung windows could be mounted. Is this true?

thanks

Evan

#2 Post by Evan »

That sounds kind of fishy to me. I would have to hear more about the sliders coming out and what you have on the exterior of your home. Siding, brick, etc.

johnmr12

#3 Post by johnmr12 »

Hi Porter. The video shows how to replace a sliding aluminum window with a sliding vinyl window, but you can install a double hung in place of the slider. It also explains how to do it if you have brick, siding, or stucco. Also, a wood double hung is replaced with a vinyl double hung. Take care
Learn how to install vinyl replacement windows. Visit http://www.how-to-install-windows.com.

Guy

#4 Post by Guy »

Hey Porter, There are some sliding windows that require some wood removal no matter what style window is going in. I would be cautious on if they said they could put the sliders in with no problem. The new windows will have the same kind of application process no matter what. So check them out and see if they are going to do this no matter what. Most of the wooden slider windows come out fairly easy. Some of the older ones from the sixties and seventies were milled out leaving the stop areas molded into the frame. So in short the stops were actually part of the frame jambs. The newer windows had the stop nailed in or friction fit. Some of them also had the old plastic or aluminum tracks behind the sashes. These are the ultimate removal and replace jobs. We cut out the outside stops and slide it in from the outside. This leaves the interior untouched.
If they do have to require some extra cutting. I can vouch for the extra charge. We use a Sawzall to cut this portion out. It takes one man at least an extra forty five to thirty minutes per opening to cut out. If there is some kind of machine to do it. I would love to see that one. I've been tempted to bring a chain saw a couple of times. I'm sure the customer would love to hear that start up and cut into their house. I usually add an extra $25.00 per hole when cutting these out. I'd check and see what the added charge is. Other than that they will only need to apply new stops for your windows. I'm sure they added that part. Good Luck!!!

porter

#5 Post by porter »

Guy wrote:Hey Porter, There are some sliding windows that require some wood removal no matter what style window is going in. I would be cautious on if they said they could put the sliders in with no problem. The new windows will have the same kind of application process no matter what. So check them out and see if they are going to do this no matter what. Most of the wooden slider windows come out fairly easy. Some of the older ones from the sixties and seventies were milled out leaving the stop areas molded into the frame. So in short the stops were actually part of the frame jambs. The newer windows had the stop nailed in or friction fit. Some of them also had the old plastic or aluminum tracks behind the sashes. These are the ultimate removal and replace jobs. We cut out the outside stops and slide it in from the outside. This leaves the interior untouched.
If they do have to require some extra cutting. I can vouch for the extra charge. We use a Sawzall to cut this portion out. It takes one man at least an extra forty five to thirty minutes per opening to cut out. If there is some kind of machine to do it. I would love to see that one. I've been tempted to bring a chain saw a couple of times. I'm sure the customer would love to hear that start up and cut into their house. I usually add an extra $25.00 per hole when cutting these out. I'd check and see what the added charge is. Other than that they will only need to apply new stops for your windows. I'm sure they added that part. Good Luck!!!
I think you hit the nail on the head. This sounds more or less what the window guy was talking about when he came over to my house. I remember him saying that they where part of the frame jamb. My question now is - is this a project that I could undertake and would the video help me tackle this job? I am very good with tools just never have messed with windows.

thanks

Guy

#6 Post by Guy »

To be honest I wouldn't attempt that one without an experienced installer. I'm sure I can speak for most of installers out there. That this is one of the more difficult applications we face in the field. You would be better off totally removing the old unit. Then installing a new construction style window. Either way I would recommend using a Pro to do the job. If it were a standard application you would be in fine shape. But this one may create some issues for you. Just the measuring for the new window will require some guess work. So be careful in any way you choose.

porter

#7 Post by porter »

Guy wrote:To be honest I wouldn't attempt that one without an experienced installer. I'm sure I can speak for most of installers out there. That this is one of the more difficult applications we face in the field. You would be better off totally removing the old unit. Then installing a new construction style window. Either way I would recommend using a Pro to do the job. If it were a standard application you would be in fine shape. But this one may create some issues for you. Just the measuring for the new window will require some guess work. So be careful in any way you choose.
thanks...

johnmr12

#8 Post by johnmr12 »

Hey Porter, if you have a digital camera, take a couple of close up pictures of the exterior and a couple of the interior of your window. Email them to me at johnmr12@yahoo.com. I should be able to tell you if its a job that you can do yourself.
Learn how to install vinyl replacement windows. Visit http://www.how-to-install-windows.com.