Thompson Creek Windows & Doors - Prices?

Share your experiences with others
stevegreen

Thompson Creek Windows & Doors - Prices?

#1 Post by stevegreen »

I just wanted to follow up with a review after the advice I got on here a couple of weeks ago. I went ahead and ordered the windows from Thompson Creek. So far so good. We bought 12 windows and one sliding glass door. The sales presentation was about what I thought it would be, a little long, but the guy was nice so I put up with it.

When we got to prices, we had to haggle a bit but we did end up with a really well built window for just a little more than the cheapest bid. I liked that they manufacture them themselves right down the road in Landover, Maryland and the fact they have good reviews on Angies list.

All in all I'm very happy. I will post my energy savings when I get the bill, but the house does seem more quiet and there is no draft anymore which is wonderful!

Thanks for the advice!

Windows on Washington

Re: Thompson Creek Windows

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

What other brands were you considering? It says that you joined the board today?

You like the fact that you had to haggle over pricing? It is always nice to know that someone will happily overcharge you if you don't put up a fight.

Made locally...is that really important?

Please post up some pictures of the completed job. Did the new windows qualify for the Tax Rebate? Do you have a CPD number off of that window?

What price did you actually get that was little bit more than the cheapest bid?

Did you get the fuel savings guarantee?

jsmomo

#3 Post by jsmomo »

:lol: i don't remember anyone saying that thompson creek was a good product. good luck give them a call when you don't save 50% on your electric bill guaranteed

Win-admin
Board Administrator

#4 Post by Win-admin »

Really makes Thompson Creek look like a bunch of shysters doesn't it?
Agreed, normally we immediately delete posts of this nature, but perhaps we owe it to the buying public to leave this one up for a bit.

Ed's

Skydawggy.

#5 Post by Skydawggy. »

The truth is Thompson Creek makes a pretty decent product.

They are one of those companies that will come to your home only if husband and wife are present and spend 5 hours until you toss them out. They will start you out at about $1000 per window and keep dropping the price with model home discounts, calls to the manager etc. until they finally drop down to around $600-$700 per window. We all know the rest.

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

Decent is all relative to price. There are a ton of windows out there for far less with better numbers.

wisetothem

#7 Post by wisetothem »

Thompson Creek is a sleazy bunch of crooks. DO NOT SIGN ANYTHING ON THEIR FIRST VISIT, THAT IS RIDICULOUS WHEN YOU ARE SPENDING THAT KIND OF MONEY. Do NOT give them ANY personal information, at all. Their inside sales person called me to discuss the Wells Fargo credit option and I said, "Do not run my credit or submit any credit requests in my name' - that is a QUOTE. She told me everything was fine, she said that she 'cancelled everything.' Well, I just got a letter from Wells Fargo and I now have a $13,000 credit card from them!!!! I am sure TC gets paid on these account set-ups.

Avoid them at all costs. You will regret this company from your very first contact.

joeN

#8 Post by joeN »

Thank you for leaving this post up. It was a big help to me.
Here is my story
I contacted Thompson Creek by phone at Tuesday May 2nd at 9:20am for an estimate to replace windows in a Baltimore City Row house owned by my son. The company would only provide the estimate if the owner of the house (all decision makers) were present for a 90 minute appointment.

I repeatedly asked for a competitive bid, to replace 9 windows, and explained that:
1) the house is in the process of a ReHab.
2) The interior is all framed up and ready for windows.
3) We (my son and I) have been working on rehabbing the house for 9 months.
4) I work on the block and can walk over during any weekday to open the house for the estimate.
5) The 90 minute appointment was acceptable I would be there with the estimator to make measurements
5) my son doesn't live in the house and he works too far away to come during the week.

We did not want to take time from our weekend and this was a request for a competitive bid not a sales presentation opportunity.

I said that
* We visited the the Thompson Creek booth at the Feb 2011 Home Show at the Baltimore Convention Center.
* My Brother has had Thompson Creek windows installed in his house and recommended the company/product.
* Wanted to purchase a product made in the USA
* President Obama visited their plant and I saw it on TV.

The manager called me back at 5:30pm. He said that the company would provide a competitive bid. I said that all the above positive are being UNDONE by the companies instance to have a meeting with the decision makers. We just want a quote.

Unbelievably, the manager then starts to recite the same requirement that the decision makers must be available for the 90 minute visit.

I realize this is not Illegal or unethical, but it reflects on the culture and business ethic of Thompson Creek. They just don't listen. They keep reading from the same card saying the same thing. After reading this Discussion Board, I would not use Thompson Creek or recommend anyone use them because their business process does not provide the service which the client/customer is asking for. What would it be like to have them doing work with that attitude?

ZachM

#9 Post by ZachM »

My Mom was approached by TC guy who was doing a replacement in her neighborhood. Her home has 40-year-old windows. When she tried to set up an appointment the salesman implied that a woman alone could not sit for their sales presentation. When she said that she was a widow, he still insisted on having "all decisionmakers" at any sales presentation.

A local radio personality has been advertising with his personal recommendation for TC in this area for years, so the brand has local name recognition. I'm so glad I found this forum before my Mom had to suffer through 90 minutes of anything. From this forum I know that there are many more manufacturers and plenty of good healthy competition for quality products; so there is no need to succumb to the pressures of what I perceive to be a sexist high-pressure marketing technique. It's just not a core value. :D

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#10 Post by masterext »

there is someone who posts here by the name of "windows on washington" who dedicates his time helping homeowners with their window questions. fortunately he happens to serve your area. not only is he a true professional but also a gentleman is every sense of the word. he actually responded to this post. find his name and click the get a quote button and you can get his contact info.

Delaware Mike

#11 Post by Delaware Mike »

Outfits like this will expect the sales rep to obtain a signed contract on the initial visit. It's really that simple. Homeowners will most likely want to get several estimates and perform research like hanging out on forums like this. Once that happens it's "Game Over" for most of the "One Call Closers." They have about a 5% or less chance of closing a deal if the rep doesn't get that contract signed, thus they take every step to make sure all decision makers are there.

ballerinapaws

#12 Post by ballerinapaws »

In April 2010 we had replacement windows installed by Thompson Creek. In June 2011 both of the bay windows installed are malfunctioning. I called for service and to date have been given the "run around" by Thompson Creek. To date, I cannot even get someone from the company to look at the windows much less fix or replace them. Here is my issue -date was originally scheduled to inspect the broken windows by Thompson Creek, then Thompson Creek cancelled the date to inspect the windows and promised replacement instead. Got a call today to cancel the replacement and now want to schedule an inspection again more than two weeks from today. I insisted they inspect this Saturday since I could have had the inspection weeks ago but they cancelled. Replacement of these windows could take up to sixty days. To date, no word from Thompson Creek if they will inspect this Saturday. Very disappointed in the lack of service and the inability to stand by their product. Buyer beware of Thompson Creek. By the way, the bay windows were the most expensive of the different styles of windows we purchased.

Randy

#13 Post by Randy »

Thank you for taking the time to tell others of your experience with TC. I truly hope that your problems get resolved to your complete satisfaction.

To other homeowners in the Washington DC area, who are in the process of choosing new windows, let me give some advice. Windows on Washington (a regular pro on this board) is far and away the very best company to do business with in your area, with superior products and an above-and-beyond approach to installation and service.

The pros on this board spend time here, advising homeowners, because we truly care about seeing that people are happy with their purchase, not just on the day of installation, but for many years to come. Choosing the right company to purchase from is the most important step in making this happen.