Frost on outside of Schuco Window

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
chrisc

Frost on outside of Schuco Window

#1 Post by chrisc »

I recently got my new Schuco windows installed. I have a bay window. Its not a single window but 3 windows. The center one is rather large and two side are about half the size. Anyway it was very cold this morning (21 degrees) and there was frost on the out side of the windows. The large window had the most frost. The frost was like what you get on your car windows in the morning. Also the windows are on the 2nd floor South side. I also have a Schuco picture window that is double pain glass that is also on the south side that had no frost. Is this normal?

art

#2 Post by art »

Chrisc -

I have a feeling that what you're noticing is a reason for celebration, if I'm wrong one of the pros here will correct me.

Seems to me that the frost on the outside of the outer pane would indicate that the middle and inside pane with their LowE coating and krypton fill are preventing the warmth of the house from getting to the outer pane. Hence the outer pane is pretty much at outside temp while the inside of the home remains warm - just what one wants!

Enjoy your newfound warmth and energy savings :)

Oberon

frost

#3 Post by Oberon »

Chris,

Did you actually have your car parked outside last night? If you did, I am betting you had frost on the car windows as well....no heat from the interior of the car to warm up the glass....and no heat escaping from the interior of the house to warm the exterior of the window glass to prevent the frost from forming.

It was a very cool and clear night as well, I am guessing. Perfect conditions for forming frost this time of year.

Art's answer was right on. Your windows are operating perfectly.

earwax

#4 Post by earwax »

http://www.jeld-wen.com/resources/consumer.cfm

Check out this website and it answers a lot ogeneral questions about new windows and doors.

chrisc

#5 Post by chrisc »

I thought that this was normal but just needed to check.

Thanks guys!

Mass. window guy

frost on glass

#6 Post by Mass. window guy »

Is it possible that there was warm air transferring from the interior that came in contact with the outer layer of the cold glass?
Similar to the way beads of moisture form on a cold can of soda when it comes in contact with a warm surface (such as your hand).
I just wanted to throw this theory out there- I have been in the business quite a few years but am always interested in the pros opinions! This would be a learning curve for me as well.

art

#7 Post by art »

Mass. Window Guy -

Personally, I doubt very much that any warm air got out and caused condensation to form. The physical dynamics just aren't there - Firstly, as far as I know, cold goes to heat and not visa versa. Second, what are the probabilities that interior warm air could escape and rather than whisking off into the surrounding atmosphere, make and keep contact with the cold outer pane long enough for the warm air moisture to condense?

As far as condensation on the outside of a cold can of Coke (or whatever :)), it seems to me that the condensation is cause by the cold exterior of the can being chilled to the point that it's achieved a relative dew point. That condensation would be caused by the low can temp wringing moisture out of the surrounding air or even condensing the moisture from the surface of your hand.

I know that if I'm wrong Oberon or Fen Ex or someone will set this straight.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#8 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Good to see you Art! Happy Holidays to you!
Last edited by Window4U (IL) on Sat Dec 18, 2004 5:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

FenEx

#9 Post by FenEx »

Hey art !!! good to see ya still helpin' the cause !!!!

Not sure if that was a typo, but the reverse is true. Cold... does not exist, only an absence of heat. Heat moves towards a lack thereof. You are correct about the fact that if the warm air got past the window it would be swept away by the path of least resistance (air currents).

As for the can of Coke... you are correct about the cold aluminum surface reaching a dew point with the warm moist air. Keep in mind that with the second law of thermodynamics, heat, moisture and pressure will move to a lessor environment. These laws cannot be broken, only resisted... and the three are like triplets that move together. If you restrain one or two, it is still possible the third will bring the brothers along.

One of my favorite examples of this is in a 10' x 10' exterior wall. If the wall is sealed with a low-perm material protecting it from moisture... the heat and pressure will still carry moisture through it. But if there was a tiny 1/2'" hole in that vapor barrier, the air that infiltrates through heat and pressure transfer would carry 10 times the moisture through it.

If you look at your home as a system that takes or gives you money... lets give it the name... ATM. (Air, Temperature, Moisture). Properly balance the three... and you will manage to reduce surcharges and increase interest.

Happy Holidays

FenEx