Difference between insulation and spray foam around new wind

Share your experiences with others
Jen

Difference between insulation and spray foam around new wind

#1 Post by Jen »

I am having 25 new windows installed. Two of the three installers said they use a spray foam for the installation and one uses packed in insulation. The later states that he uses this in case the window has to be removed and that the spray expanding foam would make it virtually impossible to remove the window. He did say that if I preferred the spray expanding foam that he would use it. Please advise as to which is the best application. I still live in Sanford, NC which is dead center the state. I have decided to go with Simonton windows but have not decided between the Prism Platinum window or the Reflections 5500 series. The U factors and SHGC factors are the same 30 and 25. But this is what I do not understand the Platinum series as super spacers, 7/8" thick glass, triple Low E 366 and double strength glass while the 5500 series as intercept spacer, 3/4" thick glass, double low E 366 and regular strength glass. i WOULD THINK THE FACTORS WOULD BE MUCH BETTER WITH PLATINUM. All advice is GREATLY APPRECIATED. JEN

Windows on Washington

Re: Difference between insulation and spray foam around new wind

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Spray foam is the best application, however, I would never eliminate a contractor from consideration for the single fact that he does not use foam.

Once the window is caulked and capped properly, air infiltration should be non-existent anyway.

Spray Foam is a nice secondary air infiltration, water infiltration, and structure barrier.

Randy

Re: Difference between insulation and spray foam around new wind

#3 Post by Randy »

Spray foam is the best application, however, I would never eliminate a contractor from consideration for the single fact that he does not use foam.
I agree that a contractor shouldn't be eliminated just because he doesn't use spray foam, however, but if everything else is equal, I'd go with the contractor that does.