Changing aluminum sliders to Casement windows

Share your experiences with others
Drene

Changing aluminum sliders to Casement windows

#1 Post by Drene »

I have recently had my aluminum slider windows replaced with replacement Casement windows and am unhappy with the job but I am told the insullation was done correctly.

Do replacement windows get installed on top of the trim of the window or should the trim be removed? What happens to the part of the sill where the trim ends and there is no material there for about 1 1/2inch wide and high? The installer just put a capping there and thats it. He said that is how its done.

On the sizing question: I believe they sized them wrong. One window has a little over 1/4" on each side opening space. The installer had to use longer screws since the onces that came with the window did not reach. I was told this is correct since Vinyl windows expand and shrink with weather. I though Vinyl has close to no expansion/shrinkage. What is the truth?

Lastly, the capping on the window was aluminum bent from the space of the window to the house. then they used silicone material that covered the entire capping. is this how it should be done? I have them coming over this weekend and want to know what I am talking about. I think a replacement window should not go ontop of trims, what happens when you want to change your trim? i know double hungs do not get installed on the trim, why is it different with casements?

Thank you in advance.

TLHWINDOW

Re: Changing aluminum sliders to Casement windows

#2 Post by TLHWINDOW »

Drene,
What you had done was "basic" installation, you probably have sheetrock returns and wood sills. It is a Very common practice to reduce the cost of the windows. Codes here also allow it, the only thing that has to be done is a full seal to the exterior.

Your sill still can be replaced, it would just need to be pryed out or cut. Double Hung windows would be done the same way.

As far as the outside, WE typically foam or insulate the exterior, then cap the window to the trim.

As far as the 1/4" gap, its not there for expansion of the window, but for adjustment. They probably measure the opening and gave a little wiggle room. I can't really say its wrong or right.

We do basic installation here to combat Window World and the likes. I don't really like to unless you live in a brick home, but most home owners are not willing to understand the differences and pay for a differenct installation.

I don't know what was in your contract, and I don't want to sound mean, but it sounds like you got what you paid for.

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

TLH, explains correctly. The only thing that I'd add is that a space of 1/8 to 1/4" is NECCESSARY around the window in order to install it properly. 9 times out of 10 your existing opening is out of square. Leaving a small gap on all sides allows the installer to insure that your new unit IS square and operates/seals as it is meant to. The installation you describe is a correct installation for that application. A BETTER installation would have been possible by removing the entire frame, woodwork, etc., however would have been substantially more costly as it would have required much more labor, new woodwork, possible siding modification, etc.

buddy11

#4 Post by buddy11 »

Did they support the outer 1 1/2" where the new window sill extended past the trim? If I read it correctly, they just capped it without any support? That could lead to problems down the road as the sill may sag. We typically fill a void like that with foam or something for support.

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

buddy11 wrote:Did they support the outer 1 1/2" where the new window sill extended past the trim? If I read it correctly, they just capped it without any support? That could lead to problems down the road as the sill may sag. We typically fill a void like that with foam or something for support.
This is why I love the foam too buddy. Supports and insulates like a champ.

windowinsider

#6 Post by windowinsider »

This is exactly my problem with people coming on the forum and saying something like - I was quoted $6000 for 8 windows XYZ brand windows." "Is it too much?" And then it seems to me that regulars here too often pile on and say that's too much for that window. Then homeowners get fixated on price per window, and a brand name that may be hard to source. When we know it's 75% installation anyway. And we know a basic pocket drop replacement is getting forced way too often to keep bid price down and then we're all competing for the lowest denominator.

Homeowners should be educated about what will work best for their home, as opposed to the constant which window and which price game. I know it isn't always that way here... but it's consistently that way.

Skydawggy.

#7 Post by Skydawggy. »

I disagree with you. Most Pros on here will say something like, "That seems high if this is a basic installation". Many don't comment on price at all unless the price seems way out of line for a basic install.

windowinsider

#8 Post by windowinsider »

The internet is a very good place to disagree.

blueyamaha

#9 Post by blueyamaha »

windowinsider wrote:This is exactly my problem with people coming on the forum and saying something like - I was quoted $6000 for 8 windows XYZ brand windows." "Is it too much?" And then it seems to me that regulars here too often pile on and say that's too much for that window. Then homeowners get fixated on price per window, and a brand name that may be hard to source. When we know it's 75% installation anyway. And we know a basic pocket drop replacement is getting forced way too often to keep bid price down and then we're all competing for the lowest denominator.

Homeowners should be educated about what will work best for their home, as opposed to the constant which window and which price game. I know it isn't always that way here... but it's consistently that way.
you'll never sell things to anyone with that way of sales. you wouldn't believe what turns people on and what turns them off.
it almost seems like the more you explain the more they tune you out. they want to know one basic thing..what's your lowest price. then pick the lowest guys. and wonder why their windows are poorly installed and leak air.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#10 Post by masterext »

this wa s a typical sheet rock return install. very common in condo's and town homes.