Viwintech Windows Complaint Reviews?

Share your experiences with others
wanthegoodstuff

Viwintech Windows Complaint Reviews?

#1 Post by wanthegoodstuff »

I have hired a builder to build a new home for my family. He says he prefers Viwintech Windows. He used to use Simonton but said he like these better. Had some trouble with Simonton, not real clear on what or why he uses these. As I mentioned I am ignorant concerning windows/construction. I've tried looking up Viwintech reviews or complaints for these to no avail and noticed there are not really any review sites out there for windows other than sites trying to sell. I would very much appreciate some information concerning windows, Viwintech, specs, reviews etc..... I have "drafty - yellowish" windows now and prefer not to buy the same again. I want my home to be energy efficient without going broke on windows. Any and all information would be helpful. FYI: I have a contract with the builder so a new builder is not an option for me. Thanks up front!

2MinuteWindowTips

Re: Viwintech windows? New construction-very window ignorant

#2 Post by 2MinuteWindowTips »

You need more info on Viwintech. Is it a local fabricator or is it a trade name that a dealer slapped on a window?
Builders generally offer either big brand names (not necessarily top of the line models within those brand names) or they go with
a "builders grade" window. What most people consider builders grade are very entry level products that the builder can use to save money on the project. All windows look good when they are installed...however, the length of time they will perform satisfactorily is what you really should care about. Some builders will let you upgrade for a reasonable cost. Others will offer almost no credit for the windows they put in your original package, because they are making more money putting in the lower end windows. There was a company in eastern Pennsylvania called Viwinco that manufactured vinyl windows using Certainteed extrusions, but they no longer use Certainteed. Viwintech may be their new name for it. Again, a Pella window from the local Pella Store is not the same as a Pella window from a big box store. They put their name on many products for different markets and distribution channels. If you know someone in your area that had replaced their windows and are happy after a few years, ask them for the brand name they used, and try to get the builder to agree to use that brand. Good Luck with your new home!

booschang

#3 Post by booschang »

wanthegoodstuff wrote:I have hired a builder to build a new home for my family. He says he prefers Viwintech Windows. He used to use Simonton but said he like these better. Had some trouble with Simonton, not real clear on what or why he uses these. As I mentioned I am ignorant concerning windows/construction. I've tried looking up reviews for Viwintech to no avail and noticed there are not really any review sites out there for windows other than sites trying to sell. I would very much appreciate some information concering windows, Viwintech, specs, reviews etc..... I have "drafty - yellowish" windows now and prefer not to buy the same again. I want my home to be energy efficient without going broke on windows. Any and all information would be helpful. FYI: I have a contract with the builder so a new builder is not an option for me. Thanks up front!
I just went to the Viwintech website and looked at the technical specs... not very impressive from an energy efficiency standpoint. Their 6100 (presumably their best) is a .31 u-value IF you choose their best glass upgrade. If it were a replacement window it would NOT qualify for the energy tax credit. Here's a link to the specs.

Where is your new home located?

James Kile

#4 Post by James Kile »

I have had my Viwintech windows for 3 yrs. and for over 2 years I have tried to get something done. They are the worse windows I have ever had. And the people at Viwintech don't care. The wind comes in around the windows all the time. I wouldn't want to use these in my barn, let alone in my house. I feel sorry for anyone who uses these windows. :evil: James