Leaks on the Sill

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
monopolis

Leaks on the Sill

#1 Post by monopolis »

Howdy folks. Just bought a house that has replacement windows throughout - very happy with them. However, I noticed that during heavy rainstorms, the two bottom corners of most of the windows are dripping. The dripping creates a pool of water on the window sill, then slowly drips down the wall and onto the hardwood floors.

I'm wondering whether I simply need to a) recaulk the base where the window meets the wood, and b) remove the screens from outside to allow the water to exit in that direction.

But, I'm posting in case there's another solution I should be considering. Any help is most appreciated!

Thanks!

Guy

#2 Post by Guy »

Most windows today have a weeping system to expell water from the track and sill area. If you have a slider the holes are usually under the track the window slides on. If you have Vertical lifted windows then the holes are usually visible when the lower sash is lifted. Most the time these get dirt or sheetrock dust plugging the holes. Just open the window and pour a cup of water in the track. The water should run out almost as fast as you can pour it in. If not you need to clean these out with a wire or air. Other problems are idiot installers who throw a screw in the sill to pull it down. This breaks through the weeping system and creates a leak. There may be cracks in your frame that let water breech the opening. You can try and silicone the cracks where water is coming through. Just make sure you keep the window open until the sealant is dry. Otherwise you may have a difficult time opening it later. Good Luck!!!