Accu-Weld Replacement Windows???

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
ennuibt

Accu-Weld Replacement Windows???

#1 Post by ennuibt »

I was just wondering if any one had experience with Accu-Weld windows. Also, I was wondering if $650 a window installed is to much.. Any help would be great, thanks

http://accuweld.com/window2400.htm

These are the specs and features of the Accu-Weld windows I was quoted on:
12 windows are 36x35, 1 is 22x22, 1 is 34x23 and 1 bay window 92x46
Energizer series 2400 - 2005 model
- custom fit to 1/4' linear windows
- double-hung
- fully fusion welded and poly foam filled vinyl sashes and mainframe
- vinyl multi-chambered construction
- 100% vigin vinyl
- double strength 7/8" insulated glass with Intercept u-shaped warm edge spacer technology
- Caldwell constant force balance system
- Accu-glaze Z-glass (RF=11)
- exterior foam window wrap
- energy efficient interlock at meeting rail
- Tilting sashes
- top mounted locking tilt latch
- U factor of .31
- Non prorated double transferable 60 year lifetime limited warranty
May include butyl seal - need to verify

Includes removal and disposal of old windows, installation, and capping

In NJ

Mass. window guy

#2 Post by Mass. window guy »

you mention the Caldwell constant force balance...
it is either a constant force balance or a caldwell spiral balance. You or your contractor have combined the names of two completely different systems. The stainless steel constant force is the better of the two (by a long shot).
I have heard of that brand, but cannot give you a definite thumbs up or thumbs down. It sounds like a middle of the road window that is a little pricey if it is a typical pop-in without alot of carpentry.
The limited warranty also concerns me a bit. Read the fine print before comitting- and it absolutely better cover seal failure.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#3 Post by Window4U (IL) »

MWG,
Caldwell is the manufacturer of the balance system. They make spiral, constant force, and block and tackle balances. I used to equate the name Caldwell with only spiral balances too until I saw Caldwell's ads in Window & Door Magazine. Easy mistake to make.

Delaware Mike

#4 Post by Delaware Mike »

Sounds a little high to me. Did they use a first call close or model home program? The DH units we install from Accuweld would run a lot less, but if we had to recover the cost of a ton of advertising and commissions, I could see $475.00 to $575.00 depending on grids and vinyl color.

This window has some really nice features and seems really solid, but I've found some quality control issues with the manufacturing of some of their products. The Accuweld Company has handled all problems to our customers satisfaction.

I would compare this window to the CertainTeed Brynmawr II except with more options. Consumer Reports really talks this window up, but my installers didn't really like it that much and we had the CertianTeed factory rep out twice to handle qulitly control problems.

The more I get involved in this industry the more I'm convinced that if the consumer gets a Low e2 window with a lifetime (honored) warranty with EXPERT INSTALLATION for under $600.00 per window installed, they're probily got lucky given all the jokers out there trying to install windows!

Shop around, just not at Sears or Home Debit.

Mass. window guy

#5 Post by Mass. window guy »

window4u,

Thanks for the clarification-
I never knew they made both balances.

Windowman PA

Accu-Weld

#6 Post by Windowman PA »

I sold Accu-Weld windows for over 5 years and as a wholesale dealer we had so many service issues. :oops: On my father-inlaws home he has 2 windows were the welds are pulling apart. Low end at best!!! :cry: we bought from accu-weld for $101.00

Delaware Mike

#7 Post by Delaware Mike »

Windowman PA,
If they stuck me on quality control in that plant I would probily have a nervous breakdown in about a week, or they could shoot a sequal to that movie with Michael Douglas "Falling Down II The firing in Bensalem."
We have had good luck recently with Accuweld, I'll keep my fingers crossed. When we are dealing with customers that just refuse to pay the industry average for a window installed because they are in really repressed areas, we found the Accuweld has a nice fit. Although, the first cracked weld that I encounter, well somebody up there better look out!