Should I even consider Window World Replacements

Share your experiences with others
Suling01

Should I even consider Window World Replacements

#1 Post by Suling01 »

I am very very new at this. Need to replace 31 windows. Received a quote from Window World for Comfort 6000 windows and Thompson Creek. Big difference in cost. Would appreciate any info -- should I even consider buying Window World or run from these windows. What I have now MUST BE REPLACED. The house was built around 1934 and still have
the original windows with the old silver storm windows. Help anyone!

Randy

Re: Should I even consider Window World Replacements

#2 Post by Randy »

If you only intend to stay in the house for a very short time, Window World might suffice. Otherwise, I'd recommend taking a look at some other options. I have heard of Thompson Creek, but know nothing of their products and pricing.

If you are in the Washington DC area, there is a local pro here, Windows on Washington, that should be consulted. He offers a variety of products, one of which is sure to fit your needs and budget. If you'll find one of his posts, there is a "contact" button at the bottom that will get you to him.

If you're not in the DC area, let us know where you live and we'll try to guide you through the product options.

Skydawggy.

#3 Post by Skydawggy. »

Thompson Creek is a decent window. It does have what I would consider a design flaw in that it uses an 80's style pocket sill. Problem with the pocket sill is it drains pollen and atmosheric debris though the sill, in to the window extrusion and then out of the weep holes this can eventually lead to the drain path becoming clogged with crude.

Before you decide, I'd get an estimate on Simonton, Softlite, Okna and/or Gorell. All are available in the DC area. As Randy mentioned Windows on Washington would be my first contact.

mjc

#4 Post by mjc »

I too have looked at Window World in the Dallas area. Their quote is $1000 less than others. Are they reputable and efficient windows?

Skydawggy.

#5 Post by Skydawggy. »

You may want to do a search for Alside Excalibur, Alside Sheffield and Alside Ultra-Maxx since these are the 3 windows WW sells the most of.

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

You get what you pay for with their product.... Installation would be my worry. They pay their installers far less than many other companies... Draw your own conclusion from that.

toddinmn

#7 Post by toddinmn »

Here in MN ,window world is a locally owned franchise.Homesealed,what is window world paying there installers vs you or your installers?Most workers are getting pushed whether they are hourly or paid per window.The EPA rules are in effect now,the only thing that has changed to my best knowledge is the certifcation requirements have been extended,meaning you don't have to be certified but still must follow all the rules.The EPA or local states are still enforcing and are able to fine.

Skydawggy.

#8 Post by Skydawggy. »

EnergyHound wrote: With new laws taking effect soon, probably 1 Oct, concerning lead based paint in homes built prior to 1978, you will want to try to get the work done soon to avoid additional costs that will be associated with these new laws.

Better recheck your sources on this. RRP laws are in effect right now.

HomeSealed

#9 Post by HomeSealed »

toddinmn wrote:Here in MN ,window world is a locally owned franchise.Homesealed,what is window world paying there installers vs you or your installers?Most workers are getting pushed whether they are hourly or paid per window.The EPA rules are in effect now,the only thing that has changed to my best knowledge is the certifcation requirements have been extended,meaning you don't have to be certified but still must follow all the rules.The EPA or local states are still enforcing and are able to fine.
I've heard from subs that they are getting around $30-$35 per window including capping. A going rate around here is more like $50-$100 depending on whether or not they provide caulk and coil etc.... +1 on RRP already being in effect. They October date is meaningless for those of us who are already certified, and even those who are not yet are supposed to be practicing the procedures regardless.

toddinmn

#10 Post by toddinmn »

Wow, that is F-ing cheap if you are correct. I know of illegal's getting $35 for window wrapping alone without materials.I have seen some of WW's installs and they have done a nice job on the install and the capping was very nice.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#11 Post by Window4U (IL) »

toddinmn wrote:.I have seen some of WW's installs and they have done a nice job on the install and the capping was very nice.

Me too, absolutely beautiful....

HomeSealed

#12 Post by HomeSealed »

lol, gorgeous!

pegleg

#13 Post by pegleg »

Hi everybody,
I too am very new at this.

I recently bought my first home. It is a foreclosure and has newer (last 10 years?) replacement windows. Two of the windows are missing the lower, interior sash (I believe that is the right term) however the rest of the window is completely intact, but I have been able to find no markings indicating who made or installed the windows.

I contacted several companies (Champion, Air-Tite) in the Cincinnati area asking if they could replace only the sash, but was told that unless they did the original install, they couldn't help me.

I contacted Window World and have an appointment next week for an in-home consult. After doing some checking on the internet, I have found mixed opinions of WW and their product.

Any ideas on what path I should take with these two windows?

Skydawggy.

#14 Post by Skydawggy. »

Just to clarify, the lower sash is a frame with glass in it that lifts up and down. Are you saying it's completely missing?
If so your only options are to figure out who made the window and order a new sash or to replace the entire unit. A sash from a different manufacturer will not seal properly even if it would fit.

pegleg

#15 Post by pegleg »

Hi Skydawggy,

Thanks so much for replying.

Yes, that's right, the entire sash as you described it is missing. Part of the fun of getting a great deal on a foreclosure.

At the moment I have the two windows boarded up and will probably end up replacing them entirely. I am guessing since I can't find a manufacturer's name on the window anywhere that they are probably not quality replacements. The question now is whether to spend the money on quality replacements for two, or go for the low-end to match the rest of the replacements in the house.