installing bow windows

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
tfaivor

installing bow windows

#1 Post by tfaivor »

When installing a bow window how important is it to have it cable hung into the overhang, or even braced under the window? Our installers chose not to do this, without informing us first. Even though it was in the contract to have it cable hung... plus they did not insulate the seat of the bow.... which in turn allows condensation onto the oak wood of the interior... which also was stated to have done in the contract... I think they used a 2 x 8 piece of wood at the base of the bow to sit and attach it to and nailed around the frame... please give me any insite on what you may know about bows.... it is a 70 x 40 bow, 4 lite window... 15 inch seat.... made by comfortline.....thanks so much

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#2 Post by Window4U (IL) »

They skimped on the install, and you need to have these things fixed or you will definitely have problems in the not too distant future.
The funny thing is that even your salesman knew the proper way to install the window and even wrote it on the contract. It's pitiful that the salesman knows how to install better than the installers.
Call your salesman and tell him you will not accept this work since he gave you his word you would get a professional install.

E-Z

#3 Post by E-Z »

It is imperative to create a thermal break at the top and bottom seat. Like Window4u said it is a shame the installers are not up to date on the installation method. By being an installer myself i know that not insulating take less time so if you are subbing out it dont take an Einstein to see what happened here. Since you have it in writing on your contract call their company and demand what you paid for. i pride myself in disclosing every single aspect of the installation so the customer does not feel they are getting cheated, by being a small business i get to deliver what i promised to my customers by installing my own jobs. Some may see that as a burden i see it as a business oportunity. Anyways you have resources so don't despair.

E-z
E-z
E-z Windows

johnam

#4 Post by johnam »

Remember that the warranty is void if the window was not installed according to the manufacturers instructions. How did you allow it to be installed incorrectly when you knew what was supposed to be done?

Guy

#5 Post by Guy »

Needless to say it's by no means the Home Owners fault in any way, shape or form. For all we know he could have been at work and came home to it.

These are the kind of people who give companies the bad rap. They only care about getting to the bar and sucking down a cold one. It's so sad to see it happen from one side of the conuntry to the other. Shortcuts in this manner do nothing good for anyone. It will void the warranty and that is all you need to fight back. Anyone who orders an un-insulated seat board in a cold climate should be slapped silly! Although in respect to the salesperson they may have sent the insulated seat board seperately. A lot of the makers here do this. It allows their production lines to stay the same with out change. They can just send one loose without the worries of a custom order going North or South. Since the installers cheated the system in other areas. I would bet some of the bank roll they may have skipped here also. As for insulating it shouldn't take any installer longer than ten minutes to throw some batting across the trusses before sealing in the roof. They can also nail on the seat board and foam can around the inside in this same time frame. Considering the time it saves you in the long run it's as easy as it gets. I would go back and make someone feel really bad they did that!!!