kensington windows

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
billyd1

kensington windows

#1 Post by billyd1 »

Can anyone give me any insight about Kensington vinyl replacement windows. I've never heard of them before, the description they gave was great, but I'd like to hear from anyone who may have dealt with them in regards to service, quality, etc. Thanks.

Windowman PA

Kensington Windows

#2 Post by Windowman PA »

They were sold in your area by Ambassador in Harrisburg, Pa. They have switched to Republic, so you can only guess why? :cry: i can only hope they take care of psat 15 years of service! :cry:

billyd1

#3 Post by billyd1 »

Thanks Windowman. If I could pick your brain a little more..... I have recently installed a house full of Simonton 5500 series in a customers house, ran into a problem with the front cottage style windows in that they are a 1/3 x 2/3 split. The people have custom window treatments ( very expensive ones ) that match that split. Simonton, Certainteed, Great Lakes, and many others have stated that a 60/40 split is the closest they can get due to sash weight/balance strength. Kensington tells them ( and me ) that they can make these windows. I don't want to put junk windows in just to match the blinds. I was hoping for either pros or cons to advise the customer as to whether or not to use the Kensingtons. If you have heard of any horror stories about them I would at least have an unbiased opinion to present to them. Thanks again for your input and my apologies for writing you an entire book here :D

Bill

#4 Post by Bill »

BillyD.

What is the size of the window and the measurement from the top to the meeting rail you are looking for? You mentioned a 1/3x2/3 split which would make the top smaller than the bottom then you said a 60/40 split which is the other way around.

Anyway I entered a Simonton 5500 double hung 32â€￾ x 60â€￾ with a 35/70 split that will have an upper sash 18â€￾ from top to the meeting rail. According to my order entry program Simonton can make it.

Bill

billyd1

#5 Post by billyd1 »

Thanks for the reply Bill, the window size is 35 1/2 x 71 1/2, the sashes meet 23 1/2" down from the top of window. The supplier I deal with has been over this a few times with Simonton and our latest approach is to see if they could possibly do this in a single hung. I don't know if that's going to make it work or not. Also the lower sash is tempered which I'm assuming is going to add at least a little weight to it. Thanks again for the input. :D

Bill

#6 Post by Bill »

They are correct, Simonton won’t build it I tried entering the sizes and received errors.

Fixing the upper sash may be the only way.

Good Luck,
Bill
Last edited by Bill on Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

billyd1

#7 Post by billyd1 »

Thanks again for your time Bill, I'll keep working on a solution.