HELP!! Very confused... Simonton vs. Ideal vs. ???

Share your experiences with others
Nybor709

HELP!! Very confused... Simonton vs. Ideal vs. ???

#1 Post by Nybor709 »

I'm trying to determine which replacement windows to put in my house. I don't want to put "million dollar windows" in a "non-million dollar house", but I want to get something good, that meets the requirements for the tax deduction, but won't cost me huge bucks. I've had 3 quotes so far - Home Depot wants to put in Simonton 6500 series, almost 15K for 25 windows (double hung). A general contractor wants to put in Simonton 5500 series, almost 14K for 25 windows. And a window guy wants to put in Ideal Windows (out of Bayonne, NJ; with the optional energy package), about 7K for 25 windows. The contractor would charge 8-10K to install a new bay window (Simonton), the window guy would charge 3K to install a new bay window (Ideal). Simonton has the AAMA "gold label", Ideal apparently does not. Can someone PLEASE help me out here? Let's assume both do an excellent install job. I really like the window guy's prices, but will I be sorry in the long run? Is Simonton and/or gold label really worth paying double for???

I live in MA if it makes a difference.

buddy11

Re: HELP!! Very confused... Simonton vs. Ideal vs. ???

#2 Post by buddy11 »

Ideal is not well regarded here. Simonton is, but HD is not the best place to get them.