HELP....I need new windows!

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
mistyfawn11

HELP....I need new windows!

#1 Post by mistyfawn11 »

HELP... I need new windows. I have had 2 guys come out. I have now single pane/ hung aluminum windows. With all the snow I have had to put plasic over them to help.

All I want is a window that will keeps the cold out. I don't want to have to replace it in 5 years.... So what type should I get?

Vinyl, Fiberglass. insulated vinyl...wood or composite??

The Vinyl guy said it would be about 3K.
The Fiberglass guy said about 7K...I only need 11 windows..??

ANY help would be great!!!!! My hubby is out to sea so I am kinda on my own........Thank You !!!!

Bill

#2 Post by Bill »

Misty:

You need to give us specifics in terms of the names of the window manufacturers that were offered to you and the price for that product for any of us to be of any help.

In terms of the framing materials you listed there are good windows made out of the entire list. I prefer a good vinyl window; I believe it delivers good quality at a reasonable cost. But you have to be careful the list of poorly built vinyl windows is longer then the list of good ones.

Bill

FenEx

response

#3 Post by FenEx »

Misty

"Cold" doesn't really exist in physics, it is really a lack of heat. You want to keep heat in in winter and out in summer. Heat moves towards a lack thereof. Windows are over 80% glass... this should be your greater concern. The aluminum frames you have are highly conductive of heat, but either vinyl of fiberglass will be much less. The plastic you are using is simply reducing air-infiltration, which is only responsilble for about 10-12% of how a window loses/gains heat.

As you look at windows, go to NFRC.org and select the name and style of window from the list. Look for the lower U-factor. This will represent the least amount of heat loss through the entire window. As Bill stated, post as much information about the windows you are looking at as possible, and we will try to help you along.

Just curious, is your husband in the service... or just fishing.

FenEx

mistyfawn11

Window I have looked at.

#4 Post by mistyfawn11 »

Thank you so much for all the info so far... Yes my Husband is in the Navy...But he hates the boat?! I have looked at comfort line fibergass window He talked about a "hightest R-value" He also told me that Fiberglass last the abour 10 time longer than anything. The cost was about 650 a window...450 for the small window in my bathrooms.

The vinyl window was from comfortworld... it was the 4000 model.... He realy didn't talk much about R or U- value....He did tell me that it would be more to prepare the opening. $60 per window. One thing I didn't like was that all the windows were the same price so...$211.00. no matter what size?! Is that right?

My rough opening for 8 windows are 30' by 52' Two windows are 28' by 52 and one at 52' by 52'?

I have also looked at Pella, Just down at Lowes home improvement. He told me that pella was insulated vinly. at about 240 per 30 by 52 window.

So that is it guys....what you think? Like I said before I just want to be able to sit next to a window and not have to have my coat on?