Champion vs Feldco vs Stanek vs Wasco vs ?

Share your experiences with others
bwankowski

Champion vs Feldco vs Stanek vs Wasco vs ?

#1 Post by bwankowski »

Hi, I just bought my first house a month ago and am looking at replacing my old single pane wood windows with a vinyl replacement. I live outside of Milwaukee area. I have gotten three quotes so far and have Stanek coming out tomorrow night. Champion with there 45% discount is $11,200, Feldco is $7620 and Wasco is $8300. I have also looked at Andersons but I have some real odd ball size windows that they cant make. I am looking for the pros and cons about these windows and if anyone has dealt with them. I was leaning toward Feldco for price reason but after reading comments posted on here I am starting to shy away from them. Champion priced themselves out but they would probably come down to compete with the Feldco and Wasco. Wasco is built 20 minutes from my house and I took a tour of their plant and they seem like a good quality window.

Windows on Washington

Re: Champion vs Feldco vs Stanek vs Wasco vs ?

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

There is a poster on this board by the screenname of HomeSealed who is from Milwaukee. He is a ethical professional with great experience and products. You might want to give him a ring.

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

My take on the companies mentioned: All of them sell a decent product, ironcally I'd rate Champion the lowest even though they are priced the highest. I have not heard many great reviews of Feldco. Stanek and Wasco are both fine companies with a fine product. Whether or not you are getting a great deal, we'd need more info such as the quantity and specs.

bwankowski

#4 Post by bwankowski »

Well I am looking at a total of 10 windows. I got a quote from Stanek tonight with their standard glass the total is $7760. I am also getting another quote from Wasco if I would do the installation myself.

Below are the sizes:
102" by 48" Two casements on the sides with a picture in the middle
39"x48" dh
28"x48" dh
(2x) 24"x38" dh
44"x38" dh
60"x36" glider
45"x36" glider
45"x36" dh
37"x28" glider
(2x)36"x28" dh
52"x28" glider

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

How about interior/exterior colors and glass packages? ... Might be a tad on the high end (but not outrageous) for a white double-pane that meets tax credit requirements, but if they are woodgrain interiors, colored exteriors, triple pane,etc..., that would make it a bit more reasonable. Do those prices also include exterior trim, RRP (EPA) lead procedures, etc?

bwankowski

#6 Post by bwankowski »

I have decided between either Stanek and Wasco. There are both white on white with Low E/argon glass, Stanek total for the lead safe is $200 for the whole job while Wasco is $50 per window so a total of $500.

bwankowski

#7 Post by bwankowski »

Also the Wasco quote was for double hungs through out the whole house except the 60" length and two others.

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

Roughly $700 per window for a white tax credit double-pane window isn't the best deal you'll find by far, but it isn't highway robbery either... Like I said, both are fine windows and fine companies, so I'm sure you'll be happy with your purchase either way. :)

bwankowski

#9 Post by bwankowski »

I am going to work that price from both companies i too believe it is high right now but more in the range I would like to see not like the champion quote. Also with State fair coming up they may have some better deals next week.

bwankowski

#10 Post by bwankowski »

Homesealed, another poster said you sell windows what do you sell?
Last edited by bwankowski on Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Skydawggy.

#11 Post by Skydawggy. »

bwankowski

That's not the proper way to contact a pro on this board and can it can get you banned. You should click on the "get a quote" button under HomeSealeds name only if you are interested in scheduling an appointment to get an estimate. I would suggest you delete your contact info immediately.

HomeSealed

#12 Post by HomeSealed »

A couple brands that I highly recommend are PlyGem and Gorell. Softlite and Sunrise are nice products as well, although the the Sunrise dealer (biggest one anyway) in our area really pushes the old "high pressure", high-price, sales deal.

bwankowski

#13 Post by bwankowski »

Well Wasco contacted me and they could do the same package Stanek offered for $7100.

HomeSealed

#14 Post by HomeSealed »

They are pretty comparable so I wouldn't say that price match is anything special... With either company you are paying a premium because they "make" their own windows, even though they only assemble the parts produced by other companies. There may be something to be said for controlling the assembly process, however imo, I think that the marketing is a little misleading... Its like calling a Toyota an American car just because it was assembled here.... I generally don't like to comment on pricing, but since I'm very familiar with this market, I can say that at $700 per unit for a white double pane tax credit window, you could probably save a couple hundred per unit from many places in town on a high quality product.

bwankowski

#15 Post by bwankowski »

Can I buy some of the other brands and install them myself? I am looking at going that route. It would save me a lot. Wasco said I could get the windows for $4400.