changed to: need vinyl window suggestions.

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
lyfia

changed to: need vinyl window suggestions.

#1 Post by lyfia »

I'm looking to replace my 25 year old single pane aluminum windows with a vinyl frame, double pane, single hung, low e glass window.

Could somebody recommend a good middle of the road company. I don't want to spend the money for a "top of the line" window as I doubt that I will ever recoup the cost of that where I live, however that is all people want to sell me.

I believe the windows I have now were not top of the line when installed and they are still working just fine, just not the most energy effiecient.

It is not that I can't appreciate the top of the line quality, but there has to be some middle of the road that is also a good quality window that is not going to cost an arm and a leg either. It has to be economically feasible for me to do this too.

I'm in TX btw so I care a lot about SHGC.

edit: After the advice of Randy below as well as other research I've decided to go with vinyl instead, so any suggestions for a good quality middle of the road vinyl window would be nice. I just replaced aluminum with vinyl in the above text.
Last edited by lyfia on Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:48 am, edited 3 times in total.

Randy

aluminum windows

#2 Post by Randy »

There is a company based in Dallas that manufactures a very good aluminum window - Don Young. However, I do not recommend aluminum windows to my customers, and I am in Houston, TX. Aluminum, even thermally broken, are just not efficient enough, and most of the time, they sweat, or condensate on the interior.

Good luck with your project,
Randy

nailbiter

#3 Post by nailbiter »

I recently saw the Traco P2 which was some kind of metal frame. I think it was aluminum. For all the time I've spent reading this forum though, they're hardly ever mentioned. Can some of the pros comment on these windows. I saw these installed in an apartment with brown frames. What are the pluses of this type of window and why don't we hear about this company more?

lyfia

#4 Post by lyfia »

Randy, thanks for the info. What good middle of the road window in vinyl would you recommend instead. I have a contractor to install it so I can basically choose what I want. I have several windows that face west and south so I guess I'd be better off with vinyl then.

Randy

vinyl recommendation

#5 Post by Randy »

Why don't you see if you can get an Alside window or a Simonton. They both have multiple lines of window (good, better, best), they are both large, stable companies, and they both make a pretty good window for the price.

Good luck!

lyfia

#6 Post by lyfia »

Thanks Randy, I will look at those. Simonton is carried by one of the builder supply stores here. Alside I don't know if I can get here or not.

Does anybody have an opionion about Certainteed's Somerton II? I saw that one and the Bryn Mawr II at another building supply center here today. The Somerton had more visible glass and not as wide of a frame which is something that I liked as the majority of my windows are 23" wide.

Randy

Certainteed

#7 Post by Randy »

The only problem that I have with Certainteed is that they do not manufacture their window, they contract the work out to independent window plants. Here in Texas the windows are made by a company called
Burris & Associates, in Dallas, TX. Their quality control could use some help.

Simonton has their own plants, and I'm quite sure that Alside does as well.

Guy

#8 Post by Guy »

Certainteed's Bryn Mahr II is a good window to use. Simonton's Prism is another good line to use. Gilkey and Gorrel are two other brands to look at. Schuco also carries a Good, Better, Best lines of windows. You could check them out also, if they are in your neck of the woods. I wouldn't worry to much about another manufacturer subbing out their windows. Most manufacturer's will sub stuff out when they get real busy. But they should be just as good as the in-house windows. If they are not don't accept them. Hope this helps!!!

Randy

sub-out production

#9 Post by Randy »

What companies sub out work when they "get real busy"? I don't know of any. Certainteed doesn't sub out the work when they get busy, here in Texas, they sub out all of their windows.

Which companies, do sub out their overflow work?

Guy

#10 Post by Guy »

You know what Randy. Your a real pain in the %$&. You should spend more time helping people and less time being a critic. Simonton out of Paris, ILL subs stuff out during busy months. My Cousin works down there. Andersen farms out their sash components. Those are just a few. It's not something they really brag about. Obviously your a poor window installer because your always here answering questions. Maybe you should join the workforce!

Randy

facts

#11 Post by Randy »

"Most manufacturer's will sub stuff out when they get real busy." - Guy

Boy, some people get really defensive when you call them on their bullxxx! I just couldn't let such an ignorant statement go by when it is obviously untrue. If what you were saying were true, you wouldn't be so defensive Guy.

I will have to check into the Simonton and Andersen statements, as I doubt the accuracy of those statements as well.

Just get your facts before you post, and you'll have no problems with me Guy.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#12 Post by Window4U (IL) »

I know both you guys from these sites and seperately with off site email chats. You are both really great guys and I would recommend either of you without hesitation to someone asking me for a referral. You have more in common than you know with your great personalities and professionalism with your customers. You guys need to set a truce. If you knew each other you'd probably be good friends.

Guy

#13 Post by Guy »

Your absolutely correct W4U. This is not a place to air laundry. I just get tired of my being challenged by people that have no clue how long I've done this... and who I know in the industry. If other installers are going to play games and constantly disect every word I say. I think it's just time for me to stay away from these sites. I'd be better of having one of my employees bend me in a knot. It's been fun!!!

FenEx

#14 Post by FenEx »

Good call W4U... I respect them both as well. Different views on a particular issue doesn't mean a complete separation of morality or standards. In this case, I will confirm, that even some of the largest manufacturers outsource a percentage of product when they need to. It is a fact. You are both extremely professional at what you do to my knowledge... perhaps the energy might be better spent on the industry's weaker links? I disagree with other professionals daily... but it doesn't mean I don't respect them or their beliefs.

FenEx

RC

#15 Post by RC »

Guy, I hope you don't stop posting on this website. Your remarks are usually some of the most informative and least biased.