Andersen Frenchwood Gliding Door Glass Codes - ctg tempered 16 cfr 1201 ii

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
robert

Andersen Frenchwood Gliding Door Glass Codes - ctg tempered 16 cfr 1201 ii

#1 Post by robert »

I recently (1/26/04) had an Andersen Frenchwood patio glider installed and noticed that the stationary and gliding sections have different codes etched in the glass. How can I tell if they are the same configurations?

Glider
SGCC 1805 5/32 U
16CFR 1201 II
CTG Tempered

NFRCC 006/012 High Performance
IGCC CBA IGMAC CIG-4.7 1-04

Stationary
SGCC 1804 1/8 U
16CFR 1201 II
CTG Tempered

NFRC 006/012 High Performance
IGCC CBA IGMAC CIG-4.7 2-04

I investigated this because the stationary side appeared to be less substational using an unscientific glass tapping method of inspection. Does anyone understand these codes? I am waiting for a final answer from Andersen.

Guy

#2 Post by Guy »

Robert, If I'm not mistaken. The codes designate which panel the glass is from. The "Active Panel" will carry one numberand the "Stationary Panel" will carry another. The glass should be identical in every other way except the numbers. I even went out and checked mine after I read your post. Mine are also different like yours. Good Luck!!

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#3 Post by Window4U (IL) »

I wonder why the gliding panel would be 1/32" thicker than the stationary. Would an extra thirty-second of an inch really make a diiference in the durability of the side that takes more abuse? And/or maybe they use a different type and size of spacer on the side that takes all the shock and abuse to lessen the chance of seal failure.
I'm really curious to find out the reason. Please let us know when you get an answer from them.

RC

#4 Post by RC »

Does anyone still make outer "storm doors" for gliding patio doors?

robert

#5 Post by robert »

Window4U (IL) wrote:I wonder why the gliding panel would be 1/32" thicker than the stationary. Would an extra thirty-second of an inch really make a diiference in the durability of the side that takes more abuse? And/or maybe they use a different type and size of spacer on the side that takes all the shock and abuse to lessen the chance of seal failure.
I'm really curious to find out the reason. Please let us know when you get an answer from them.
I received a call from a third level of expertise at Anderson and she said that both sides had the same glass thickness and were identical in all performance parameters. She stated that the 5/32 and 1/8 designations were not thickness indicators, but are part of an overall coding scheme . However, I have a 6 year old Anderson Frenchwood slider and the coding is identical on both sides. Anderson claims that their standard glass is 4 mm= 5/32, real thought provoking since I have another one on order. Other than taking it apart and measuring it myself, I will have to take their word for it. Guy stated that his door has different designations also.

robert

#6 Post by robert »

Window4U (IL) wrote:I wonder why the gliding panel would be 1/32" thicker than the stationary. Would an extra thirty-second of an inch really make a diiference in the durability of the side that takes more abuse? And/or maybe they use a different type and size of spacer on the side that takes all the shock and abuse to lessen the chance of seal failure.
I received a call from a third level of expertise at Anderson and she said that both sides had the same glass thickness and were identical in all performance parameters. She stated that the 5/32 and 1/8 designations were not thickness indicators, but are part of an overall coding scheme . However, I have a 6 year old Anderson Frenchwood slider and the coding is identical on both sides. Anderson claims that their standard glass is 4 mm= 5/32, real thought provoking since I have another one on order. Other than taking it apart and measuring it myself, I will have to take their word for it. Guy stated that his door has different designations also.

FenEx

#7 Post by FenEx »

We are talking about 1/32nd of an inch here. In what possible way is that worth becoming an issue? It will make virtually NO difference on performance or strength in any way, shape or form.

If Anyone is soooo analytical about ANY product... why would they still be looking at Andersen? Sheesh.

robert

#8 Post by robert »

It is interesting to know that a 20% difference in thickness will have "NO" effect on performance. That is way beyond most day to day design margins. What willl make a difference 30%, 40% 50%? What percentage of betternes is your favorite door of choice 30%, 40%, 50%.... probably 99%.
I have learned after 25 years in the missile business you question anything that doesn't make sense. Maybe this only applies to rocket science and does not apply to patio doors. Hope this helps. Good luck!

robert

#9 Post by robert »

It is interesting to know that a 20% difference in thickness will have "NO" effect on performance. That is way beyond most day to day design margins. What willl make a difference 30%, 40% 50%? What percentage of betternes is your favorite door of choice 30%, 40%, 50%.... probably 99%.
I have learned after 25 years in the missile business you question anything that doesn't make sense. Maybe this only applies to rocket science and does not apply to patio doors. Hope this helps. Good luck!

robert

#10 Post by robert »

Hello Mr. Fenex,
I am waiting your response:
If the nominal design thickness is 5/32 what minimum thickness does your design model reveal as having no affect on performance. Also please submit the comparison of your perfect door to the Andersen Frenchwood by each design parameter. If it is significant, I will cancel my outstanding order but I need to know within 48 hours.

robert

#11 Post by robert »

Hello Mr. Fenex,
I am waiting your response:
If the nominal design thickness is 5/32 what minimum thickness does your design model reveal as having no affect on performance. Also please submit the comparison of your perfect door to the Andersen Frenchwood by each design parameter. If it is significant, I will cancel my outstanding order but I need to know within 48 hours.

Guy

#12 Post by Guy »

Calm Down FeneX, 5/32 of an inch means a lot (in a marriage) HAHA. Ok for all those parties interested. I used my doors as laboratory rats. I pulled the glass in both units. Thought the wife was going to kill me! She thought I'd break the glass!! Not Me!! I always break glass. That's why I always order two. Any ways back to the glass. I measured side to side, top to bottom, corner to corner and last of all IG thickness with a Micrometer. Both sheets were exactly the same. The numbers were different on each sheet. The numbers just designate what side they are from. I talked to my buddy at Andersen. He told me they tag them differently in case they have bad glass or bad product causing breakage. It's a bit beyond me, but I can't argue with the number one money maker in the business. They must be doing something right. FeneX when you putting those Andersen windows in your lake home? I'll come up and give you a hand!!!!!!! You Da Man!

earwax

#13 Post by earwax »

Interesting string. We are all looking at 1/32 of glass. What is the difference between single and double strength glass? 3/32 vs 1/8 with most manufacturers. One of the sales pitches for one window vs another is standard double strenght glass. So the question is brought up, does 1/32 make that much of a difference? I know from lab testing that it does. What about to the consumer?

robert

#14 Post by robert »

Thanks, EW and Guy. These are the professional responses that I was looking for. Now I can sit back and enjoy my pretty, new Andersen doors with confidence.

johnam

#15 Post by johnam »

That's it, Robert........................forgetaboutit!!!!!!