Vinyl replacement vs original aluminum in coastal area

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Scoutinator

Vinyl replacement vs original aluminum in coastal area

#1 Post by Scoutinator »

We have a house on a coastal area (Washington State) exposed to high winds and sea spray. The ocean side of the house has a western exposure; thus, it is subject to relatively high heat extremes from the afternoon and setting sun. We have a number of aluminum-framed picture, slider windows, and sliding patio door which we are considering replacing as they require replacement every three to four years due to breakage of the seals (resulting in condensation forming inside the windows). We have contacted an installer who recommends replacement with vinyl windows (Milgard). As I read through this and other forums, I am becoming concerned about the ability of vinyl windows to withstand these environmental extremes. Will I find myself in the same position of having to replace windows due to broken seals? Will I need to worry about the frames sagging or warping? Are there other issues that I should be concerned about? Thanks.

uto

Re: Vinyl replacement vs original aluminum in coastal area

#2 Post by uto »

Milgard has done extensive testing on their vinyl windows installed all along the Pacific coast. With their HP upgrade package (modifications to both the frame and glass seals) it seems to be working well. On the Oregon coast I doubt you can find a vinyl window that is not a Milgard with HP upgrade.

Milgard has also identified a few areas on coastal bluffs that vinyl windows are NOT recommended. Have your contracter give you his Milgard factory rep contact info so you can discuss your concerns with him.

Scoutinator

Re: Vinyl replacement vs original aluminum in coastal area

#3 Post by Scoutinator »

Thanks for the info.