ATLANTA: R-5 triple vs. .30 / .30 double & GORELL v SIMONTON

Share your experiences with others
dbgfreeusa

ATLANTA: R-5 triple vs. .30 / .30 double & GORELL v SIMONTON

#1 Post by dbgfreeusa »

Our home is now 24 yrs. old with 35 windows. I have received quotes for GORELL 5100 & 5300. The 5100 is the min. window to qualify for the current tax credit & the 5300 is the "R-5" triple-pane unit. In Atlanta is triple-pane overkill? I've read a lot of positive comments on Simonton, but have not run across them yet in Atlanta. I'm sure I can find their distributor or dealers through their website. Any tips on Atlanta area sources for Simonton window purchasing for someone who is planning on this being a DIY project, (I have performed renovations on numerous homes in Atlanta) and any tips on how to get the lowest cash & carry price on Simontons would be helpful? Also, how do Simonton's and Gorell's R-5 windows compare quality-wise & dollar-wise? Gorell's "R-5" window actually appears to be R-6.17!!

Thank You,

David

HomeSealed

Re: ATLANTA: R-5 triple vs. .30 / .30 double & GORELL v SIMONTON

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

Gorell makes a really nice window and you can get the same glass packages in either the 5100 or the 5300. The 5300 is a hearty extrusion, but the 5100 with fiberglass reinforcement is pretty nice as well. As for Simonton, they also have some great products, and I'm confident that either choice will fill your needs.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

Both are solid windows.

The Gorrell triple pane Krypton window is not an R-6.17. If you were quoted that number it was done because someone showed you a COG (center of glass) number.

The best U-factor they get from their triple krypton unit is a very respectable 0.18 or R-5.56

dbgfreeusa

#4 Post by dbgfreeusa »

Thank You for your responses so far.

What about an R-5 window in Atlanta? The difference in price appears to be worth the difference, especially since the windows will be installed as a DIY project, eliminating typical installation costs.

We have a very well-maintained home in a well-maintained neighborhood, and I feel as though the R-5 windows will eventually be the industry standard.
The windows and exterior doors that will be replaced are one part of whole-home, energy-efficiency measures that will make our home more comfortable while taking best advantage of the current tax incentives and the "Cash for Caulkers" program that should start 1-1-2011.

Once we decide to sell our home (no time soon!), and with our past and future utility bills showing pre- and post- energy efficiency measures, I believe that we will be able to sell our home for more than similar homes in the area.

The measures we have taken and will take include a high-SEER HVAC system, energy-efficient windows & doors, proper weather-stripping & closing of any additional air-infiltration points, super-insulated crawl-space and attic, updated water heating which may include "solar", gray-water & rain-water collection and storage for landscape watering purposes and probably adding a photovoltaic system for generating a portion of our home's electricity needs. I feel that by implementing these and other measures will allow us to enjoy our home to it's fullest NOW as well as adding real value to our home when it is time to sell.

Due to the "hit" that most all residential real estate has felt across the nation, I believe that the energy-efficiency measures that we are implementing (as inexpensively as possible by taking full-advantage of current and future tax incentives as well as DIYing as much as is allowable) will be a measureable way for us to add back a portion of the "value" that our home has lost while enjoying the fruits of our labors in day-to-day comfort & month-to-month energy savings.

Anyway, does it sound like I'm on-track regarding R-5 windows in Atlanta, based on our plans to live in our home for another 8 to 10 years or so, the additional improvements we have and are making, and the probable increases in energy-efficiency standards for windows in the coming years ?

Thanks Again,
---David G.

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

David,

If you are doing all of those other weatherization and energy efficiency upgrades, the R-5 windows will certainly fall right in line with the scope of your other work.

Atlanta is only slightly more of a heating degree climate. You could mix glazing packages to take advantage of the passive solar if you home is at all set up to take advantage of that.