Full Frame Install- Always necessary?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Shims

Re: Full Frame Install- Always necessary?

#16 Post by Shims »

HomeSealed wrote:If the existing water management system (flashing, etc) is functioning properly, and a small amount of glass loss is not an issue, then there is no reason to spend the extra $ on a full tear-out. There is no insulating gain or anything of the sort as long as the insert install is done properly.
Only problem is these insert windows weren't installed correctly. They aren't level and I'm getting drafts. Now I'm wishing I had gone full frame with the other guy.

Windows on Washington

#17 Post by Windows on Washington »

Shims wrote:
HomeSealed wrote:If the existing water management system (flashing, etc) is functioning properly, and a small amount of glass loss is not an issue, then there is no reason to spend the extra $ on a full tear-out. There is no insulating gain or anything of the sort as long as the insert install is done properly.
Only problem is these insert windows weren't installed correctly. They aren't level and I'm getting drafts. Now I'm wishing I had gone full frame with the other guy.
You problem in this case was the installer and not the method.

Shims

#18 Post by Shims »

So what you're saying is an insert window is just as good as a full frame window if installed correctly?

buddy11

#19 Post by buddy11 »

Shims wrote:So what you're saying is an insert window is just as good as a full frame window if installed correctly?
From a performance standpoint yes that's exactly what we are saying, providing you use a good product and adequate install.

HomeSealed

#20 Post by HomeSealed »

What is with all of the vague redundant questions?? So you have had insert windows installed and you are dissatified with the performance, or are you shopping for windows? Please clarify, because there seems to be conflicting info. Insert window installations are completely effective and "weather-tight" as has been stated now about 10 times in this thread. If you are having drafts, then call your installer and tell him to come fix it. If you are in the process of purchasing windows, this will not be a problem with a good quality product and competent installer. Also, just to clarify, altough it is ideal to have the window installed plumb and level, it is not necessary. It does however need to be perfectly square to function properly. There are many times when an opening is pretty far out of whack, so rather than installing the window perfectly level and have it look terrible, we'll split the difference.

Shims

#21 Post by Shims »

HomeSealed wrote:What is with all of the vague redundant questions?? So you have had insert windows installed and you are dissatified with the performance, or are you shopping for windows? Please clarify, because there seems to be conflicting info. Insert window installations are completely effective and "weather-tight" as has been stated now about 10 times in this thread. If you are having drafts, then call your installer and tell him to come fix it. If you are in the process of purchasing windows, this will not be a problem with a good quality product and competent installer. Also, just to clarify, altough it is ideal to have the window installed plumb and level, it is not necessary. It does however need to be perfectly square to function properly. There are many times when an opening is pretty far out of whack, so rather than installing the window perfectly level and have it look terrible, we'll split the difference.
I knew this would come up. No I am not a troll or anything. I had insert windows installed and I was just worried that I made the wrong decision. I am in the process of getting the installer to come out and look at all of them.

HomeSealed

#22 Post by HomeSealed »

That's cool, it just usually more efficient to give all the facts up front... No biggie :) .... I would give your installer every opportunity to explain or rectify any issues. If he does not take care of them to your satisfaction, you might think about having a third party check it out.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#23 Post by masterext »

was the perimeter inusulated on the inside(if inside install)? were the weight pockets insulated? was the outside sealed? was the sill insulated?
i don't care if you built a new house and got windows from scratch. if the install was poor,you will get drafts. new construction is only warranted(in my opinion) if there is alot of wood rot or water damage. replacement windows will render great results if installation is done correctly.

Shims

#24 Post by Shims »

masterext wrote:was the perimeter inusulated on the inside(if inside install)? were the weight pockets insulated? was the outside sealed? was the sill insulated?
i don't care if you built a new house and got windows from scratch. if the install was poor,you will get drafts. new construction is only warranted(in my opinion) if there is alot of wood rot or water damage. replacement windows will render great results if installation is done correctly.
They only insulated on the outside between old frame and new windows. Their instructions, however, say to insulate on the inside. Each window was basically installed in less than 5 minutes. Old stops were removed, jamb liners, new window screwed in placed, caulked and then insulated on the outside. It seems like they missed crucial parts of the installation. I'm hoping all of these issues will be resolved. If not, other measures will have to take place.

HomeSealed

#25 Post by HomeSealed »

It is only necessary to insulate from the inside OR outside. The question is, was it an inside or outside install? If they removed interior stops, it would be impossible to insulate from outside, and vice-versa.... Was exterior capping added, or did they just caulk the new window to the existing wood?

Skydawggy.

#26 Post by Skydawggy. »

This was a complete hack job. Why did you choose this installer? Did you check his references?

Shims

#27 Post by Shims »

HomeSealed wrote:It is only necessary to insulate from the inside OR outside. The question is, was it an inside or outside install? If they removed interior stops, it would be impossible to insulate from outside, and vice-versa.... Was exterior capping added, or did they just caulk the new window to the existing wood?
Some were interior installs, others exterior. They capped the windows after less than 5 minutes of setting windows in place.

Shims

#28 Post by Shims »

EcoStar Windows wrote:This was a complete hack job. Why did you choose this installer? Did you check his references?
Supposedly they are factory trained, bonded, and insured. At least they said they were. I guess I should have done more research before pursuing the install.

Skydawggy.

#29 Post by Skydawggy. »

Factory trained doesn't necessarily mean anything. Factory certification can be as simple as sitting thru a 3 hour group seminar given by a factory engineer and getting a little certificate demonstrating you were able to stay awake for 3 hours and answer 25 multiple choice questions.

Nothing beats asking for a few references and then calling them.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#30 Post by masterext »

not to rub salt in your wound but how many wndows did you see? did you go with the cheapest price? if so,that almost always results in a cheap install.
what brand of window was it?