New Windows Plus Siding

Share your experiences with others
houseinneed

New Windows Plus Siding

#1 Post by houseinneed »

I need new windows and doors, live near the Gulf Coast (hurricanes) and want to replace the siding on the house at the same time. Although I have some past experience in the design of new and renovated homes, that was before Vinyl became the standard for residential construction, so all of my references are outdated. I have a series of questions and have only just begun the shopping process; my hopes being to not waste time with dead ends.

Brands: The options seem endless - Simonton, Pella, Anderson, Nt Window, WinCore, Alside, Comfort World, Silverline, Lincoln, HomeCraftsman, Jeldwen, Builers First Choice, Champion - and I have no concept of what should be taken off of the list. I have heard and read horror stories about Anderson and a local company (Gulf Coast Windows). Price is also a factor - I can't break the bank, but I don't want cheap.

Storm: Having been through 2 majors storms in my life (Alicia and Ike) and a false alarm (Rita) and having boarded up windows those and other times, I don't want to do that. Unless the price differential is just huge, I will likely get the storm option unless I hear that they are not dependable.

Installers: I take it the pros on this board are installers and would assume there is an industry rating system. How do I know a company is any good?

Siding: I need new siding, but worry that companies that do both won't do either as well as a company that specializes on one or the other. Is this a legitimate concern? On the other hand, the coordination of one to the other is critical.

Windows on Washington

Re: New Windows Plus Siding

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Two words....new construction.

If you replacing the siding and windows at the same time, you absolutely should go with new construction (nailing flange) window.

I would combine a new construction window with an integrated nailing flange and J-channel return for the cleanest look. Installation should consist of a minimum of a full sill flashing, jamb flashing, and head flashing. More extensive would be a full sill pan that is integrated with those previously listed flashing details.

Good housewrap or WRB would be combined with the window and siding installation.

I would probably throw out all those options except for the Simonton from your list.

Are you looking for an impact rated window as well?

Skydawggy.

#3 Post by Skydawggy. »

If you are looking for impact windows my short list would include Simonton, PGT and Gorell. Other than that, I agree, I'd toss out all the others for consideration.

houseinneed

#4 Post by houseinneed »

Washington on Windows - Thank you. I was thinking fins would be better for both strength and weathering and the building wrap would be an obvious must. The Simontons are pretty widely carried around town, so I shouldn't have much trouble getting multiple companies to bid the same product.

On the impact windows, I am waffling on whether or not that is going to be money unwisely spent.

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

The cost benefit of impact glass or a dedicated impact window depends largely on the cost.

The first time a shutter blows off and you pressurize the home (i.e. water and roof blow off) you might wish you had spent the money.

TLHWINDOW

#6 Post by TLHWINDOW »

Brands: The options seem endless - Simonton, Pella, Anderson, Nt Window, WinCore, Alside, Comfort World, Silverline, Lincoln, HomeCraftsman, Jeldwen, Builers First Choice, Champion - and I have no concept of what should be taken off of the list. I have heard and read horror stories about Anderson and a local company (Gulf Coast Windows). Price is also a factor - I can't break the bank, but I don't want cheap.

I hope your in Texas....

If you are it may affect certian windows I would tell you about. If your in Florida then Eco's list is good and I would add Custom Windows, and I may take some heat on this, but in impact, SilverLines 9500 impact is pretty nice.....

If your looking at replacing windows and optioning Hurricane shutters, I will give this advice, I sell hurricane shutters, and impact windows, and if your upgrading and looking for protection, for the price, impacts will bring you better service and price in the long run.

Randy

#7 Post by Randy »

The only brands on your list that I would recommend for Texas are Simonton and NT. I'm not familiar with WinCore, and the rest are all lower quality products. You should avoid Home Craftsman at all costs.

Depending on where you're located in the gulf coast area of Texas, impact windows may be overkill. If you do need impact windows, Simonton and Gorell are two of the best options, IMO.

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

If you are near Houston...you need to give the guy above me (Randy) a ring. He has the best products and knows this craft better than anyone in Houston.