Replacement & New Windows in NJ

Share your experiences with others
rmahendr

Replacement & New Windows in NJ

#1 Post by rmahendr »

I am planning renovation project, looking to replace 20 existing windows and add additional 20 new windows.

1. I am trying to figure out whether I should go with Fiberglass windows or Wood-clad
2. Any suggestions/experience/recommendation on products in Fiberglass & Wood-clad category

Would appreciate any insight.

Thanks
rmahendr

Skydawggy.

Re: Replacement & New Windows in NJ

#2 Post by Skydawggy. »

Fiberglass will have nearly zero maintenence and will outlast wood windows. I would only choose wood if you live in a historic home or just like the look of wood.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#3 Post by masterext »

fiberglass is no maitenance. the only fiberglass winow i would consider would be Marvin Infiniti. unless you want to paint and maintain, i would avoid a wood clad. are you planning to stain or have a white colored interior?
there are also some highly rated composit windows as well.

buddy11

#4 Post by buddy11 »

Fiberglass is the better choice in this case, unless you want to maintain your wood clad windows.

rmahendr

#5 Post by rmahendr »

masterext wrote:fiberglass is no maitenance. the only fiberglass winow i would consider would be Marvin Infiniti. unless you want to paint and maintain, i would avoid a wood clad. are you planning to stain or have a white colored interior?
Thanks. appreciate your response. After spending hours on the Net, I am also convinced Fiberglass would be better window. However, I am surprised that even though Fiberglass windows are being sold for the last 10 years, it is not as prevalent as Vinyl. My Architect is suggesting Wood/Aluminum clad while contractor recommends Vinyl. My house is definitely historic so don't have to stick with Wood. As of now planning to have white or off-white interior.
Do you have experience with Marvin Infiniti ? Any idea how it compare with Pella Impervia or Anderson Fiberglass windows ?

buddy11

#6 Post by buddy11 »

rmahendr wrote:
masterext wrote:fiberglass is no maitenance. the only fiberglass winow i would consider would be Marvin Infiniti. unless you want to paint and maintain, i would avoid a wood clad. are you planning to stain or have a white colored interior?
Thanks. appreciate your response. After spending hours on the Net, I am also convinced Fiberglass would be better window. However, I am surprised that even though Fiberglass windows are being sold for the last 10 years, it is not as prevalent as Vinyl. My Architect is suggesting Wood/Aluminum clad while contractor recommends Vinyl. My house is definitely historic so don't have to stick with Wood. As of now planning to have white or off-white interior.
Do you have experience with Marvin Infiniti ? Any idea how it compare with Pella Impervia or Anderson Fiberglass windows ?

The infinity is superior to both of them in terms of performance and beauty.
FG windows have been gaining market share while vinyl has been losing it. However vinyl still holds the lion share of the market due to it's availability and price.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#7 Post by masterext »

there is no comparison to pella impervia and marvin infiniti in my opinion both in terms of looks and quality. Marvin is by far the superior window. if you are interested in a wood interior, the infiniti has a feature called "everwood"that can be stained . its a beautiful window and would fit in perfectly in a historic home.

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

I have not seen any statistics showing vinyl losing market share, however, I'd agree that the Marvin is a very nice product and the best choice of those that you mentioned.

buddy11

#9 Post by buddy11 »

HomeSealed wrote:I have not seen any statistics showing vinyl losing market share, however, I'd agree that the Marvin is a very nice product and the best choice of those that you mentioned.
I have, both siding and windows, though I can't find the link at the moment. Vinyl windows still have more options and better performance numbers than FG unless you're comparing them to a $3,000.00 serious window :lol: