Finally got my Schuco's!!!

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Dougie M

Finally got my Schuco's!!!

#1 Post by Dougie M »

Well, it finally happened.... they installed my new Schuco's yesterday... and they look GREAT!!! The installers were very good and the windows are everything I expected. Only a few glitches... have to replace one IG unit in a triple casement because they didn't put the grids in the center section and they didn't send the folding casement handles.... very minor in my opinion. I spent alot of time watching posts here and did much research.... I'm a real estate appraiser, so there is that "got to know everything about it" element involved... :D . If anyone out there is looking for a high quality, state of the art replacement window, do yourself a favor and look at Schuco's. They cost a bit more, but it is well worth it, in my opinion. They really are not that much more than other quality windows, but once you see them, it's difficult to settle for anything else..... at least it was for me. And no... I don't work for them. I know many think this is a "Schuco" website at times, but the windows truly speak for themselves. I want to thank FenEx, Windows4U, Oberon and all the others for all your input and help in my long, long search for the right replacement windows.... your help is greatly appreciated. I'll post again later to let you know how they perform. Thanks again.

FenEx

#2 Post by FenEx »

You are very welcome Dougie. I am not on Schuco's payroll either... but the results like yours are very common with the product and make sharing information worth the time. Enjoy your new windows for the next 60 years. Take Care.

FenEx

Windowman PA

Schuco windows

#3 Post by Windowman PA »

What did you like most in your new Schuco windows? :D :D :D

Dougie M

#4 Post by Dougie M »

The question should be, what's not to like? The windows have been in for a week now and I just love them. What a difference they make..... huge noise reduction and no more cold spots in my condo. My installation was a bit more difficult than most.... a 55 year old brick building with metal casement windows with fins/tabs that are bricked in the wall. We agreed that the best method was to cut the windows out, but leave the base frame in place rather than tear out alot of brickwork. It provided a solid outer stop which the installers capped over. The interior plaster-faced openings were anything but square and plumb, so they cut off the fins, shimmed and screwed the frames, insulated and placed an interior stop of quarter round and caulked. The installers were very good and always communicated with me as to what they were going to do. They even had two of their regional supervisors come by to check the install in progress, as it was a bit out of the ordinary. I plan to frame the interior surfaces of the windows with wood at some later date, so the interior stops were installed for easy removal.
I know that there are some good windows on the market, but as I stated earlier, if you look closely, the quality components and construction of the Schuco's are readily apparent. I do not care for the integrated lift rails of most all other windows... seemed flimsy and not well finished. The thumb-slides used to tilt the windows out also seemed like an afterthought on all other windows... the Schuco's design is far more appealing in my opinion. I suppose it's like looking at a quality car.... there is a reason that some are more expensive than others.... they have better quality components and have better fit and finish. All of the surfaces of the Schuco's are finished.... nothing is left unfinished...... nothing. The interior strips used to lock the IG units in place look like real wood trim. There is architectural detail to these windows..... not just slab-sided pieces of vinyl formed into a box.
These windows are German-engineered... and they show it. I have owned a German car before... an old 1987 BMW 535i. It was solid .... as if it were carved from a single block of steel. A friend's Mercedes is the same way. They are just built differently... to a higher standard. And they are more expensive..... but they are more of a value due to the quality. I learned a long time ago.... buy quality..... it lasts longer, costs less in the long run and you won't regret spending your hard earned money.
Just for refernece, I purchased one triple casement 51x49, 2- 26x49 DH, 4- 35x49 DH, and 1- 35x37 DH..... installed for $5000. Not that much more than other quotes I had. And that is triple glazed, low-E, Krypton-gas filled, standard locks (could have had the PAL locks, but didn't need them). So....... those are the main reasons I purchased Schuco's. I am glad to answer any questions for anyone as this message board was the determining factor in my choice of windows. Have a great day!

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#5 Post by Window4U (IL) »

It makes it a real pleasure to recommend a window when reviews such as this come back in after installation. I'm very happy you had such a positive experience.