Jealousy Windows adjustment

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Daryl

Jealousy Windows adjustment

#1 Post by Daryl »

My parents have a home which has jealousy windows all around. They've been installed for 45 years and are in need of adjustment. When closed they have gaps at the bottoms. I'm having trouble finding anyone in my area (Columbus, Ohio) who has the knowledge for this task. I know there are adjustment screws down the sides that can be loosened and are part of the process. Need to know what the proper procedure is to get these to tighten up and seal better. Not many of these around in our climate anymore.
THanks in advance for ant help you can give! :D

johnam

#2 Post by johnam »

I never saw any adjusting screws on Jalousie Windows. I assume the gap your talking about is where the glasses overlap. First you can try silicone spray on the links that hold the glass that are rivited to the arms on the left & right and the operator. If this doesn't help, remove the operator and push the glass closed from the outside manually to see if the gap improves. If it does, then you must replace the operators since the gears are worn.

Daryl

#3 Post by Daryl »

These have adjustment screws on the inside frame (both sides) which can be loosened to adjust the whole window unit. Just needing to know what order or or procedure allows for getting a better fit of the panes to the frame.
Description of the window is three to four horizontal panes, single pane glass in aluminum frame which crank in and out with crank lever located at the bottom of the unit at the interior sill.
When cranked in tight there is a gap between the bottom of the upper pane to the top of the next pane down (better than 1/4- 3/8 inch). you can move them in and out by pushing on them lightly from the outside. this tells me they need adjusted. I'll check the operators and lube the hinges and see what happens

johnam

#4 Post by johnam »

What you have are Awning Windows. If there is an adjusting screw then try 1 window to figure out what the correct procedure is. Sorry that I can't help.

FenEx

#5 Post by FenEx »

Daryl

Try adjusting for the time being, but unfortunatley it will not solve the problem. Single-pane glass in loosely fit aluminum frames, in a climate like Ohio's... is actually costing your parents money every hour of the day, and more each year. Even if you sealed them "air-tight" and caulked them shut, it wouldn't make much of a difference other than feeling less of a direct draft. Air-infiltration is only responsible for about 10-12% of how a window loses energy. Today's insulated glass technologies are able to address the bigger picture. There are many products available that will not only solve the problem, but will return their own cost over time. This might be something to consider before investing too much time, effort or money into a battle that can't be won. Good luck.

FenEx