Vinyl vs. aluminum

Share your experiences with others
TLHWINDOW

Re: Vinyl vs. aluminum

#16 Post by TLHWINDOW »

No, Silver Line's quality window may not be great, but they don't use recycled vinyl in their windows. Their blue-ish color comes from their stabalizer that they use.

I may not put SL's windows on the top of a great window list for AI or some other things, but I'll back their vinyl manufacturing. I've seen it in person and know for a fact they extrude and test all their own vinyl.

Besides, my point is, you can't judge a window by its color, period.

HomeSealed

#17 Post by HomeSealed »

Again, I agree that it is not any way to comprehensively judge the quality of a window (and I never said that Silverline uses recycled vinyl, nor that the bluish hue comes from recycled vinyl), but I'll stand behind my earlier comments . My bottom line is: I don't know of any high-grade vinyl windows that have that bluish color. Maybe you have seen some, I have not... I'm really not trying to be argumentative, but that is my honest experience, and that's why I did not think that JB's comments were totally irrelevant.

TLHWINDOW

#18 Post by TLHWINDOW »

Oh, I'm not going to go into a "crazy" over it. :)

I will say I have seen one other company in FL have a blue-ish color, they also manufacure their own vinyl. I think it must help stabilize the colors?

anyway, he also said yellow-ish tint. So he covered the spectrum on that one.

Just don't need anyone reading this and thinking that PlyGem is a great window becuase thier window is more "white" than others.

HomeSealed

#19 Post by HomeSealed »

Fair enough... Is it possible that the bluish tint from the stabilizer is a cheaper way of doing it? I honestly don't know, but that would seem like a reasonable explanation. On PlyGem, I can't vouch for their other product lines, but I've had good success with their Great Lakes products.

TLHWINDOW

#20 Post by TLHWINDOW »

I haven't had much success with Plygem here. They keep going in, and I keep finding that they change colors in a few months of Florida beat down sun.

HomeSealed

#21 Post by HomeSealed »

Which product is that? They use the same names (premium, pro,etc) for different products in different regions of the country. They own (or bought) several manufacturers.

TLHWINDOW

#22 Post by TLHWINDOW »

Its their new construction product. I want to say Pro, but can't remember what the stickers say.

One of the sub-divisions down here has picked them up in their new construction homes and since I do a lot of blinds and shutters in the homes I see them often.