Window shopping at the Home Show today

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
windowshopper

Window shopping at the Home Show today

#1 Post by windowshopper »

I missed two local shows In Massachusetts recently so I went to the Rhode Island one today. I have to tell you that is the way to go shopping for windows. You can compare different models against each other. I saw Schuco and asked if it was the Corona 4000 and she did not know what I was talking about. It is an impressive window without a doubt. The one I saw had two seperate lift rails one on each side and also the automatic lock. It seems the picture I saw on this forum had one small lift rail in the middle. I don!t know what the difference is. They offered a 10% discount as part of the show but I can!t consider them because of reading too many complaints against the company from people who had them install their windows.

I was impressed with the Thermal Industries window but they offer a 20 year warrant according to the guy there while Great Lakes offers lifetime on window and even glass breakage. So I suppose it would be stupid to consider the Thermal Industries over the Great Lakes Plygem based on the warranty difference unless I am missing something. He sells both and was very positive about both windows but he did not have a Great Lakes Plygem on display so I could not compare against the other. The Soft Lite DH10 I think it was or something 10 is also impressive for about $400.00 dollars that is less than the Great Lakes or Thermal Industries 3000 window that I saw.

I think the most impressive window to me was the Certainteed Bryn Mawr II because they are only $299.00 installed. The guy gives lifetime install guarantee, he comes and does a yearly inspection to make sure everything is okay with the windows and install. He was a very nice guy and I was impressed with him. The screens on these windows are not my favorite but it seems for the money that you are getting very good build quality as compared to what else I have seen in that price category.

Can anyone tell me if $299.00 each installed is as good a price as it seems to be for the Certainteed Bryn Mawr II? I saw so many windows today that I am going to make sure I understand the warranties for each and look at the prices and features of each when they have the same glass and features and make a decision, finally.

nailbiter

#2 Post by nailbiter »

I think I recall that the Bryn Mawr II is Consumer Reports #2 rated window. (Can someone confirm this please?) That being the case, if you can get proof that they do a good job installing and have good references, it sounds like a good deal to me... (My disclaimer is that I am no authority on this window!)

mecdatlanta

#3 Post by mecdatlanta »

Consumer Reports never did a report on windows. The only information they provide is general, and they talk about the major window manufacturer names.

I think you're thinking of Consumer Digest.

Don :D

RC

#4 Post by RC »

mecdatlanta wrote:Consumer Reports never did a report on windows. The only information they provide is general, and they talk about the major window manufacturer names.

I think you're thinking of Consumer Digest.

Don :D
Actually they did, in 2000

CONSUMER REPORTS ARCHIVES: REPLACEMENT WINDOWS

In its October 2000 issue, Consumer Reports did a story on replacement windows. The report, like all CR stories, was very detailed with several testing categories, testers comments, explanations of the various energy efficiency ratings and how to decode labels. Here are their top-rated windows:

Double-Hung Windows
Marvin Clad Ultimate
Andersen Tilt-Wash
Pella ProLine
CertainTeed Bryn Mawr II
Andersen Narroline
Pozzi Clad
Andersen Millennium
Survivor 5500 (Lowe's)
Crestline CrestWood
Caradco Guardian

Casement
Andersen
CertainTeed Bryn Mawr II

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#5 Post by Window4U (IL) »

It certainly shows they have a real lack of window knowledge.
I really think they should stick to reviewing automobiles, tv's and toasters unless they educate themselves much better.

nailbiter

#6 Post by nailbiter »

I didn't realize it was that long ago. I'll have to get the original text for that. I am left to wonder how they decided which window was better. Back then (5 years ago, after all) the playing field might have been quite different. I'd love to know more from the pros on their feelings of what _WOULD_ be the top windows today. I think we have a few very honest dealers here who would give true opinions. It must be very complicated to decide though...after all, for instance the Shuco seems to be more pricey than the Gorell which seems to be more pricey than say a CertainTeed or an alside. So is there any hope of finding a true comparison of features, price and durability?

RC

#7 Post by RC »

Maybe they have done a more recent one, I don't subscribe. I just found that on a quick Google search.

FenEx

#8 Post by FenEx »

Good point Nailbiter... "Best" is a relative term.

I have no problem calling it like I see it... so here goes. In a perfect window world, price would determine greater value. It just isn't so. You will often find lessor products selling for more than greater ones... or not. Then again, you will often find great products selling for more than they should... and sometimes, great products selling for less than they should thus possibly putting a great installer out of business. The key to success is a balance. The right product, at the right price. This is a big part of the reason I invest time into sites like these... it evens the playing field. It not only gives the consumers some direction, but it also exposes dealers... good or bad. I wish more people would identify their dealers instead of just the product manufacturers. Using your examples (with quality install), a loaded Gorell DH at $600 might be the deal of the year... and a Schuco DH at $1,000 is rediculous. Aside from that, sometimes spending a little more, is worth alot more in the long run.

If I made a list based on overall performance and quality I'd call it Schuco Corona 4000 for a vinyl and Marvin Ultimate Double Hung for a wood product. That is a "True" and "Honest" opinion. I am not insinuating that you were referring to me as one of those that offer less than that.

On that note though, have you noticed that other than a few disgruntled posters, there isn't a single solid, valid arguement that invalidates either claim? In fact, there are many, many posts of support. This is not to say that "The Best" is the "Best Fit" for every scenario... in fact, it is not. Hence the "Shopping" experience. It just happens to be my primary area of interest. I enjoy your posts... please continue to share.

FenEx