Milgard WoodClad casements - is the nail fin enough?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Shocker

Milgard WoodClad casements - is the nail fin enough?

#1 Post by Shocker »

I hope somebody here can help me because I can't get a straight answer from Milgard or their dealer.

I may be wrong but I think the usual practice on a casement window installation is to remove the stops and screw through the window jamb, (and shims) into the rough opening stud, then replace the stops. This provides the strength necessary when the window is open and the weight is well outboard of the support.

On this fiberglass nailfin window, I do not see any provision for screwing through the jamb, there are no holes, etc. I had my dealer (I'm basically their only customer on this brand) call Milgard and pose the question to them, is the nail fin alone enough? Is that the intended method? They said they would fax us the info to answer that question. Well, they faxed me the standard one page AAMA page on flashing, etc. It in no way answers my question. The instructions on the window sticker, just talk about nailing through the flange, that's all. My gut tells me that that vinyl nail fin is not robust enough to be the sole attachment method on a casement.

This is my first casement installation, I'm replacing Pozzi's in my home and have installed only WoodClad picture windows so far, where this is not an issue. If you have installed this window, I would sure like to hear from you, and thanks in advance.

Randy

nailing fin installation

#2 Post by Randy »

Yes the nailing fin is sufficient, however, to be safe, I would use washer head screws instead of nails. We have installed plenty of the WoodClad windows in this manner without any problems at all. Again, I just wouldn't use nails.

Good luck to you.

Shocker

#3 Post by Shocker »

Thanks Randy!

JScott

nailing fin

#4 Post by JScott »

Should be okay to use nails per Milgards installation instructions. Heed warning to not nailing the top flange and follow their recommendations for new construction. We shim at the liners. These are secured to the frame with clips and help secure the unit further and keep the units plumb. Hope this helps.

Shocker

Re: nailing fin

#5 Post by Shocker »

JScott wrote:Should be okay to use nails per Milgards installation instructions. Heed warning to not nailing the top flange and follow their recommendations for new construction. We shim at the liners. These are secured to the frame with clips and help secure the unit further and keep the units plumb. Hope this helps.
You don't nail the top at all? Not even with the bend over nail method they talk about? This house is 10 years old so there is no danger of green studs or anything. One of the installers here called Milgard to question them on that and they said that new construction, new studs, was the reasoning behind the special instructions on the top flange....I'm inclined to secure the top flange. I nailed all the picture windows nail fins including the tops...but i'm just a diy'er, going on the best info I can find.

Thanks for the info.

JScott

#6 Post by JScott »

Shocker,

When I wrote the earlier reply I failed to take into consideration it was a replacement. Keep bending the nails on new construction but not nailing through the top flange, replacements should have the nailing fin secured as usually done on homes over 6-7 years old(my area). As a DIYer I applaud your endeaver to do a great job and leave no stone unturned.