Looking to replace 14 windows in Delaware

Share your experiences with others
bluehenwindows

Looking to replace 14 windows in Delaware

#1 Post by bluehenwindows »

I'm replacing 14 windows in a ranch house in Newark, Delaware and I'm hoping to get some information on what widows to get and to also get info on any reputable installation companies.

Budget is about $9K, so figure $650 per window installed. I've gotten one quote from a company for $14,700 for their Great Lakes Lifestyles windows. Of course, the salesman said he could put some "personal discounts" in so that the price was dropped to $14,300. He later called back and said we just missed a "buy one, get one half off" sale that ended that weekend (the appointment was on Monday) and that he could give me that price instead...and it would come in at $14,000. He then said there was a $20 rebate we could mail in and get an additional $280 savings.

Is this how all sales people act? Simple math tells me that if I am saving only $700 on a "buy one, get one half off" sale then the windows are only $200 each (I buy 7 at half price - $100 - and save $700). So I am supposed to believe that is will cost nearly $13,000 for the installment portion of the 14 windows?

Then, I got told I'd have to pay an extra $65 per window because they are original windows (pre-1978), so they have to deal with potential lead issues.

A am looking for a decent window that will block drafts, help insulate, and survive for 20 years. They don't have to look great...they just have to function.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

EDIT: My mistake...I think I posted this on the wrong thread.

HomeSealed

Re: Looking to replace 14 windows in Delaware

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

Sounds like a high-pressure, high-price outfit. Yes, unfortunately there are a lot of those guys out there and that is a common theme. I'd recommend that you check out the manufacturer websites of companies like Gorell, Sunrise, Okna, and Softlite. They all have a "dealer locator" which can hopefully get you in touch with a firm that operates in a more "down to earth" manner.
Imo, you should be able to find something good within your budget.
There is actually a contributor here named Delaware Mike who I'd highly recommend, although I'm not sure if you can contact him... Maybe he'll chime in. :D

bluehenwindows

#3 Post by bluehenwindows »

Thank you, HomeSealed. From what little I've read, you have a good reputation on this board.

I'll take your suggestion and go through the window companies and have them recommend dealers.

I've also moved this question to the main thread...I'm new here and didn't know where it belonged.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1

Delaware Mike is one of the great ones.