Fibrex Is A Permanant Replacement Window, Making It #1

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Mike

#1 Post by Mike »

Fibrex is a permanant replacement window, that will never bend, bow, or break. In 13 years, Fibrex has a 0% seal-failure rate across the country. A few on here will do everything they can to bash Renewal by Andersen, but to no avail. RbA of Colorado extends the 20/2/10 factory warranty to Lifetime as long as you own them. If you would like a 2nd opinion, just ask the US Department of Energy:

http://www.eren.nrel.gov/consumerinfo/r ... s/ee2.html

Vinyl: "...the suns UV light can fade colors other than white and cause yellowing and "crazing" in the plastics surface. Vinyl frames are also not very rigid. Vinyl windows with large openings usually require an internal metal extrusion to make the frame stiffer. this can lower the frame's R-value significantly. Vinyl window frames can also soften, warp, and twist if heat builds up within the frame. In very hot, sunny climates direct exposure to sunlight is not recommended." This is a dying product and anyone associated with vinyl knows this. Thus, the reason why prices are so cheap and getting cheaper. This keeps good window companies in business.

Fiberglass: "...they may not be widely available, as there are few companies manufacturing them currently, and the long-term performance is still unknown." Strong window, with little history. Also, read the warranties carefully!! For example: Milgard's warranty does not cover glass breakage, warpage, bowing, twisting, normal weathering or installation (you must pay for the removal and installation of defective parts." Marvin's warranty does not cover installation, normal wear, minor glass imperfections, warpage under 1/4", or incidental breakage of glass."

Fibrex (Wood/Plastic Composites): "Some companies make frames out of a mixture of wood, vinyl, and an epoxy adhesive. Such frames are very strong, insulate well, and resist rot even when exposed to water frequently. the insulation value is also about the same as an ordinary wood frame."

Your window is only as good as their warranty. Renewal by Andersen backs up their Fibrex. Whether a neighbor kid throws a baseball through your window, a rock pops up while mowing, it does not matter... Andersen replaces the entire sash at no charge.

Keep in mind that window replacement companies are #1 in complaints to the Better Business Bureau. A distributor (probably 98% of all window companies out there) is just that, if something goes wrong with your window, you had better hope that they are still in business.

Consumer Reports stated that, "every vinyl window tested bowed, broke and or lost its seal." Again, Fibrex has a 0% seal-failure rate in 13 years.

Glass: Andersen invented Low E and they apply in into both panes of glass. The glass is also a Commercial Grade, Type A Float glass... you cannot get better than that.

One should notice how RbA sells more than 2x as many windows as Pella (their nearest competitor), and more than the Top 25 vinyl companies combined. So, to all of these people who purchased the best window out there, value was obviously an overriding factor over price. if their is not a National Fenestration Rating Council (NFRC) sticker on your window, don't buy it.

The highly trusted Bob Vila.com will answer your questions as well, yet without the obvious bias one can see here at TJ's.

Good luck and Happy Fenestration Hunting!

Windowman PA

Please?

#2 Post by Windowman PA »

let's keep to the TRUTH! Andersen makes fibrex out of waste from wood window lines. As far as inventing low-e glass, Andersen dosen't make own glass it's made for them.

Windowman PA

A home owner who bought the "GREAT" AW story!

#3 Post by Windowman PA »

FYI
WARNING !

Buyer Beware!

Please Read This Before Purchasing

Andersen Replacement Windows

...The windows may look great, much better than the competitions, but read on...

In September of 2002 we, in good faith, had 14 Double-Hung Replacement Windows installed on our house by "Renewal by Andersen" of Milwaukee, Wisconsin (West Allis). We had these windows installed with the main purpose of saving money on our energy bills. In accordance with the Renewal by Andersen sales literature and the recommendation of the Renewal by Andersen salesperson we thought the Andersen replacement Windows would be our best choice. The Andersen sales staff stressed quality, energy efficiency, reliability and the fact that the Andersen Corporation has been established nearly 100 years ago. Compared to their competition, we also paid a premium price for these windows, thinking they were the best.

However we could not have made a worse choice. These "Fibrex" windows leak more than our 20 year old original windows. They leak tremendously between the sash and frames. The sashes move loosely in their frames for a sloppy fit. We do not believe the window weather stripping has much effect. We have had our Andersen dealer out here on two separate occasions to check out the windows. They installed a different style weather strip at the bottom of the window and added some caulk where it was missed. The fix did not correct the problem.

We were told by John Vondra, General Manager of the Milwaukee office, corporate would claim that the windows will probably meet industry and published standards if a test is performed by Andersen Corporate. The dealer said someone from the corporate office would come out but as of this date we have not heard from corporate.

We also have contacted the Andersen Corporate Office several times via their website by e-mail. They will not respond, let alone even acknowledge that they received our correspondence.

Also if you plan on having your windows done in Andersen's "Canvas" color and want a Patio Door of the same color, Good Luck! We were promised by Linda Luksan and Craig Blomker of Andersen Corporate that the patio door, in "Canvas" would be available by January of 2003. Here we are well into 2004 and it still is not available. So much for having your whole house or project match.

Originally we were very happy with the professionalism of the Milwaukee Renewal by Andersen salesperson and the crew that installed the windows. We even sent the Milwaukee office a testimonial letter dated 09/11/02 praising the installation and sales process.

If Andersen cares to dispute our claims and opinions, we welcome any independent testing agency to come over and do any heat loss testing at Andersen's expense. We are confident a infrared test will show a tremendous loss. We also invite any prospective "Renewal by Andersen" customers to our house, to judge, form their own opinion, about the quality of the Andersen product. We also would like to know if any other Andersen customers have experienced these problem and would like to compile a list of dissatisfied customers for possible future class action litigation.

Jim Galaszewski - dabeemer@execpc.com

Update: 03/08/2004

On March 3, 2004, a mild March day, John Vondra brought over Jeff Solsvig, a representative from the Andersen Corporate office. Jeff Solsvig stated that the windows would meet their published specifications. That's exactly what John Vondra claimed he would say on John's previous visit. Two days later while Jeff was still in town I invited him back over on a very windy day. This way he could feel and hear the wind blowing through the sashes. He declined. I am convinced if he came on that day he would have had no recourse except to agree with our claims. Jeff Solsvig also stated that no matter what they would do to try and fix the problem we would not be happy. They never gave us that opportunity.

FenEx

#4 Post by FenEx »

Although I applaud your support of your product, as we all have our preferred products, I find your post a little misleading. Allow me to clarify.

First of all, "Seal Failures" in this industry are typically related to the I.G. glass seals. Is that what you meant? If so, your information is incorrect. If you didn't... what exactly did you mean pertaining to Fibrex seals?

Next, what is the use of extending the 20/2/10 warranty to lifetime (one owner) if the average homeowner changes homes in 5-7 years? Why not make it transferrable? I work directly with the efforts of the USDOE... exactly which opinion are you referring to? The link you provided is out-dated and there is nothing on the USDOE regarding the recommendation of Anderson products.

Next, you post negatively about vinyl... which happens to cover and protect all of Andersen's high-end products. It's derivatives are also the stabilizing components of Renewal's Fibrex. When you speak of strength, why are there top vinyl's with over 30% higher DP (Design Pressure) ratings than Renewal's Fibrex? Vinyl windows are dying? You best do your homework.

Regarding warranty... don't you think it's fair (and legal) to share the fact that RBA and Andersen are corporately separated? Please share that publication of Consumer Reports- Date... and what windows did they test?

More homework... Andersen did NOT invent low-e glass. It was invented by Roy G. Gordon in 1974. In addition, don't you think you should share that Andersen doesn't even make their own glass let alone their own sealed insulated glass units? They are made by Cardinal glass and are the same I.G. units used in many low-end products as well.

I do like the touch about the NFRC.. great resource. Why is it that RBA is 30% less energy efficient than the top of the line vinyls?

Do you really believe that Bob Villa thinks that RBA is the best? The mention of any brand name product on any TV show costs the manufacturer 50k plus. How do I know this? I have been on the sets and worked directly with the producers. Bob Villa's site is PAID for by SPONSORS!!!. Not biased????

Aside form these few little inuendos... great post... keep em' coming!!!

FenEx

Moseskatz

#5 Post by Moseskatz »

Hi FenEx! Take a look at the home page, the description of fibrex got me really hooked! Now you are telling me to be careful, and go thatawy. So, what do you suggest?? Moses

FenEx

#6 Post by FenEx »

Moses

Send the link of the homepage you are speaking of. I wasn't telling you to go any direction. Before even seeing the page, I know that Andersen allows the largest advertising budget of any window company. That doesn't make them a better product.... it only increases name recognition to those that don't know any better. You are here and doing your research... you will be fine.

FenEx

Moseskatz

#7 Post by Moseskatz »

Hi FenEx, thanks for a very prompt reply! The link http://www.replacement-windows.com/window-materials.php moses

ColoScott

Renewal by Andersen # 1????

#8 Post by ColoScott »

Hey Mike at rba colorado,

First of all you are only number 1 in all the "hype" and misinformation that your sales presentation gives to consumers looking for TRUTHFUL information. You ought to be ashamed of yourself misrepresenting the seal failure rate--13yrs 0% failures this is impossible for any window manufacturer, let alone one that would use metal spacing systems as does rba. Secondly to say your window is only as good as their warranty and then you state about glass breakage. Read your own warranty rba does not even cover glass breakage, have YOU read your own warranty!!
As FenEx has stated just read your own NFRC sticker to find out how your window really performs---U-factor/SHCG/DP test--below almost every window that I have ever seen!! In other words your hype does not back up the BLACK AND WHITE irrefutable evidence that Rba does not perform as well as the Vinyl products you are bashing. I am pretty sure that one of the reasons that NFRC labels windows is to help consumers understand how windows perform without being mislead by window salesman like yourself who would rather misinform the conusmer rather than interpret the numbers on the NFRC stickers. I guess if you did that you probably would not get many window sales, especially at the over inflated price you sell your windows for.

It is also interesting to hear your colorado rba dealer telling consumers in our market that vinyl windows are "outlawed" in California. I am sure that their are quite a few dealers in California selling vinyl windows that did not know they were breaking the law--oh I forgot just more lies!

Really do you guys at rba really believe all this misinformation, or are just operating on a lack of TRUE knowledge, or do you simply do whatever it takes to make a sale?

Well good luck sleeping at night

Guy

#9 Post by Guy »

I'd comment but FeneX hogged all the good answers. You know what's even more funny is they post one time never to reply. Then kick our rear ends because we push certain brands. I guess you have to know what your talking about!!!!! Feel free to support your product here just don't use dishonest tactics and bold faced lies! Andersen invented LoE....that was a good one!

Randy

RBA sales

#10 Post by Randy »

The funny thing is, he is probably just regurgitating the information that has been taught to him by his sales manager, as part of his in-home sales pitch.

Mike is probably truly stunned to learn that Andersen didn't invent Low-E, after all he's been telling homeowners a lie for as long as he's been a salesman.

That's most likely the reason that he has not responded yet. He is doing some research and discovering that RBA Colorado has been lying to him, and he is now embarrassed.

Mike

#11 Post by Mike »

I let my product and its reputation and my professionalism speak for themselves.

Mike

FenEx

#12 Post by FenEx »

Whew... That's a good thing, because whoever typed under your name the last time didn't do much for any of the above.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#13 Post by Window4U (IL) »

:lol:

Shocker

Re: Fibrex Is A Permanant Replacement Window, Making It #1

#14 Post by Shocker »

Mike wrote:Fiberglass: "... For example: Milgard's warranty does not cover glass breakage, warpage, bowing, twisting, normal weathering or installation (you must pay for the removal and installation of defective parts."
Mike have you read the Milgard warranty at all? Allow me...

Milgard Manufacturing (Milgard) guarantees it will repair or replace any Milgard window which is defective in materials or workmanship and will pay the costs of all parts and labor. This warranty is subject to the following terms and conditions:

This lifetime guarantee is offered only to original owners of single-family homes and owners of single-family homes who purchase Milgard Windows for remodeling or replacement. This lifetime guarantee may not be assigned or transferred and terminates upon the sale of the home. Proof of ownership will be required unless the owner registration card has been returned.

Milgard is not liable for glass breakage, failure due to misuse, the use of applied tints or films, any alterations to the window including customer-applied paint finishes, improper installation or acts of nature including fire, flood or earthquake. Milgard is not liable for natural weathering of exterior finishes or for corrosion in highly corrosive environments. Milgard is not responsible for problems relating to barrier EIFS or any system which does not allow for the proper management of moisture within the wall system.

Milgard is not liable for incidental or consequential damage. Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of incidental or consequential damages, so this limitation or exclusion may not apply to you.

If Milgard is unable to provide replacement, and repair is not commercially practicable or cannot be timely made, then Milgard will refund the purchase price (so long as the customer is willing to accept such a refund). This guarantee gives you specific legal rights, and you may have other rights which vary from state to state. To obtain service under this guarantee, contact your nearest Milgard location or Authorized Milgard Dealer. Please keep this certificate for your files.
This guarantee applies only to those Milgard windows purchased on or after October 1, 1995 for use in the United States.

For more on Milgard's policy regarding EIFS systems, see EIFS Policy.

JScott

#15 Post by JScott »

I usually try to sway away from such long drama reviews. Just adding that rba in KY is starting to drop their prices. I don't know if they need to eat locally or if corporate is doing some pella rebate like stuff we are also seeing. They were trying to sell in the $700-900 range and are now in the $650-750 range. They do look good in the homeshow displays. Hope Fibrex isn't another Andersen Blue Glass. Hey Mike, ask corporate about "blue glass" and watch the old timers bury their head in the sand.