leak in new windows

Share your experiences with others
aaron

leak in new windows

#1 Post by aaron »

We have just installed new Serious windows with PVC snap on nailing fins,- we have a problem with water leaks. Has anybody else had issues with this brand of window? I'm pretty sure the snap on nailing fins are allowing water to travel down and then run inside behind the bottom nailing fin. The fin is a snap on fin applied to the face not an intergal fin like I have always used.

Windows on Washington

Re: leak in new windows

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

How were they installed?

Integral vs. snap in nailing flange should not really make a difference if the flanges where taped.

aaron

#3 Post by aaron »

The windows were installed with silicone on the fin,nailed in every hole about 8"oc, then the window tape applied on all sides.The house wrap was pulled over the top of the top fin. The fin was applied by the manufacture, it is snapped in place on the face of the fiberglass window frame, not intergal like all the other windows I have installed. The water has to be running down behind the fin not over the outer edge.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Where is the leak showing itself?

How was the sill water management (on the rough opening) addressed?

Delaware Mike

#5 Post by Delaware Mike »

For future reference regarding snap in flexible nailing flanges, I like to tool in a bead of high grade silicone like Novaflex to the exterior of flange right over the area as it ties in the exterior of jambs for this exact reason. With new construction I also prefer more room between the window and the rough opening for shimming and spray foam than what I measure for retrofit/pocket insert type installations.

aaron

#6 Post by aaron »

what does everybody think of a quality window having a snap in nailing fin? this has to be the worst designed nailing fin I've ever seen. all of the other windows have the fin as part of the frame not an add on out of PVC.

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

They can be made to work properly but proper details need to be taken. You can PVC glue them right together and they are just as integral as a one piece unit.

aaron

#8 Post by aaron »

This is something the manufacture has to do before assembly. You still have a track that water goes into , still a poor design. Who else out there has installed this brand of window?

HomeSealed

#9 Post by HomeSealed »

aaron wrote:This is something the manufacture has to do before assembly. You still have a track that water goes into , still a poor design. Who else out there has installed this brand of window?
Not if properly done as DM explained, or by the factory. I've never seen an issue with the snap-in fins that was not installer related. First, there should not be any moisture getting back there anyway, second, any that would, should be running out the bottom as the bottom fin should be over the wrb. When that is done properly along with a sill pan and closed cell foam, there is no way that water should ever be getting in the wall even if somehow the seal at the fin fails.
On Serious, you won't find a ton of love for them around here for various reasons.

Windows on Washington

#10 Post by Windows on Washington »

HomeSealed is absolutely correct.

Don't mistake me for a Serious Windows apologist, however, this sounds mostly like an installation error.

aaron

#11 Post by aaron »

The windows are installed per instructions. The water is running down the vertical groove in the front of the window, once the water is there it continues to run into the bottom channel, from there it is behind the nailing fin and seeps inside below the actual window. We are certified with Anderson windows for installations, have installed hundreds of Pella, Marvin etc. we not 1st timers at this.

HomeSealed

#12 Post by HomeSealed »

aaron wrote:The windows are installed per instructions. The water is running down the vertical groove in the front of the window, once the water is there it continues to run into the bottom channel, from there it is behind the nailing fin and seeps inside below the actual window. We are certified with Anderson windows for installations, have installed hundreds of Pella, Marvin etc. we not 1st timers at this.
I didn't mean to insinuate that you were, although you gave no indication of your prior experience... That being said, it really doesn't change anything. Regardless of the minimum requirements provided in the manufacturer instructions, if you use best practices as outlined above it would be impossible to have problems unless the steps weren't followed correctly.
If you step back and assess the issue for a moment, what exactly is the cause of your issue? It is not the product. The Serious snap-in fin is no different than anyone else's snap in fin. The problem is that the fin was not installed properly (caulked into groove), and that the proper cya measures were not taken. I'm not trying to be a jerk here at all, I just don't know what you expect us to say? -- " Yeah! snap in fins suck and always leak!" ... I won't say that, because it is not true. Nor is there any inherent problem with the Serious model... I don't know exactly which steps you took and which you didn't, but hopefully we've helped in some way. :)

Windows on Washington

#13 Post by Windows on Washington »

aaron wrote:The windows are installed per instructions. The water is running down the vertical groove in the front of the window, once the water is there it continues to run into the bottom channel, from there it is behind the nailing fin and seeps inside below the actual window. We are certified with Anderson windows for installations, have installed hundreds of Pella, Marvin etc. we not 1st timers at this.

Post up a picture. I am having a hard time envisioning what you are describing.

buddy11

#14 Post by buddy11 »

aaron wrote:The windows were installed with silicone on the fin,nailed in every hole about 8"oc, then the window tape applied on all sides.The house wrap was pulled over the top of the top fin. The fin was applied by the manufacture, it is snapped in place on the face of the fiberglass window frame, not intergal like all the other windows I have installed. The water has to be running down behind the fin not over the outer edge.
Do you have a picture of this prep and tape work? I'm having trouble envisioning exactly how this was done. It may or may not be contributing to the problem