Steel rollers vs Nylon Rollers

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
schnur07

Steel rollers vs Nylon Rollers

#1 Post by schnur07 »

I've narrowed down my windows to either LBL or EPI - both manufactured in Oregon. The LBL has steel rollers and EPI has nylon. Will the nylon rollers wear out and be difficult to slide over time? Just trying to decide if the extra $1000-$1500 (for about 33 windows) is worth it to get the steel rollers and a few other goodies that come with the LBL (better screen, hideway screen on the casements, higher U value)

thanks

Steve

earwax

#2 Post by earwax »

Steel rollers leave black moark on vinyl with time. So you will have a black mark on the track for the slider windows. The nylon will pit if you have sand or any other debris and can stop rolling. Each have an adavantage. Nylon are cheaper. You can replace them for about a buck a windows on you own too.

Guy

#3 Post by Guy »

I feel the brass roller works well. My choice is Delrin. It's a self lubricated man made plastic that will last forever. Just as strong as stainless but lighter. The industry is moving slowly to this material. We use it in the paintball industry for the bolts used in the high end professional lines of Markers. It's good stuff and we should see more and more suppliers use it in the near future!