Price too low for Simonton?

Share your experiences with others
TLHWINDOW

Re: Price too low for Simonton?

#16 Post by TLHWINDOW »

Ok, I'm going to jump in really quick here. Strictly on Simonton.

Nice house, we have a bunch down here like that. Most people end up not even replacing the Trapeziod windows because of the cost. (lets not go there).

The 1st installer, He'll be coming back with change order, or running off with your money. Either that or he is going to drop them off at your house request a check and leave.

The 2nd installer, "I can't even get the windows for that price", well...... not saying he should sell at that price, but he probably needs to find another supply house. Oh, and plumbing insulation? Really, :roll:

As far as series, I think that they only make shapes in the Prism Platinum and 5500 series.

I personally think the other quotes are a little too high, and Simonton is too low. I don't know your area, but you need to be like Goldy Locks and find something in the middle that is just right.

HomeSealed

#17 Post by HomeSealed »

Another option on the trapezoids is to call a glass company and get a quote on just replacing the glass with a more thermally efficient unit. Given the circumstances, you can probably save some money that way as opposed to getting a window with a full frame, and you'd still get the benefit. That said, WoW has good points as well as far as whether or not replacement of those is worth it. I'd get it priced out and then decide... If you remove those from the replacement order your price should come down substantially.

Randy

#18 Post by Randy »

HomeSealed wrote:Another option on the trapezoids is to call a glass company and get a quote on just replacing the glass with a more thermally efficient unit. Given the circumstances, you can probably save some money that way as opposed to getting a window with a full frame, and you'd still get the benefit. That said, WoW has good points as well as far as whether or not replacement of those is worth it. I'd get it priced out and then decide... If you remove those from the replacement order your price should come down substantially.
Good points. Replacing the glass with IG units is quote simple, just moving the set point of the stops generally. The only negative I can think of is the weaker warranty that glass companies typically offer. Well worth considering though.

JToddM

#19 Post by JToddM »

Another option on the trapezoids is to call a glass company and get a quote on just replacing the glass with a more thermally efficient unit. Given the circumstances, you can probably save some money that way as opposed to getting a window with a full frame, and you'd still get the benefit. That said, WoW has good points as well as far as whether or not replacement of those is worth it. I'd get it priced out and then decide... If you remove those from the replacement order your price should come down substantially.
This may be a good option. When you say a "glass company," do you mean a window company or just a local glass company? Is this what I've heard referred to as "raw glass"?

I'm also going to research the storm window option and see if there's something out there that would work.

I appreciate everyone's help and suggestions.

Windows on Washington

#20 Post by Windows on Washington »

Local glass company.

You can also see if you can get a window produced as a "Dead-Lite". This would be and IGU with no frame.

See if you can get Low-e dead-lite and this will be a cleaner look than storm windows.

Insulators Home EXT.

#21 Post by Insulators Home EXT. »

jtoddm, I am assuming you don't feel comfortable with the differences in price fluctuation? Pella and Anderson are typically in that price range because they do a full frame tear out of the window opening. Simonton windows are made for a retro-fit install. But that is opening a whole new can of worms. Check out Okna Window products, and you might also like great lakes products.....

HomeSealed

#22 Post by HomeSealed »

Insulators Home EXT. wrote:jtoddm, I am assuming you don't feel comfortable with the differences in price fluctuation? Pella and Anderson are typically in that price range because they do a full frame tear out of the window opening. Simonton windows are made for a retro-fit install. But that is opening a whole new can of worms. Check out Okna Window products, and you might also like great lakes products.....
OP already mentioned that they are in Kansas, while Okna is not, but great window nonetheless.

JToddM

#23 Post by JToddM »

I am assuming you don't feel comfortable with the differences in price fluctuation?
The price fluctuation is concerning, but I also tend to think that I should be able to do something that will help make my house more energy efficient without requiring 20 years to recoup my investment. When someone comes in and tells me that they want me to spend $30,000 on windows with nothing to justify that price other than some charts and graphs that would equally apply to the $9,000 bids, something seems amiss.

I'm sure those of you that are professionals, can understand the hesitancy of homeowners that have nothing to go on other than their gut feel during a presentation. I'm glad that I've found this group, and I've reached out to some local friends in the construction industry to get some feedback from them.

With people unwilling to leave information or to only give verbal quotes, it's easy to feel like you're going to be taken advantage of. The only quote that I have in writing is from Andersen and the $8930 Simonton quote. Obviously before I proceed I'll make sure everything is in writing.

Just seems like there should be an easier and better way. Maybe I need to start my own window company and get some Okna windows in here to sell :)

HomeSealed

#24 Post by HomeSealed »

You'll find a very wide range of "methods" in this business, as it sounds like you've already experienced. You should not have to feel hesitant about dealing with a solid company. They will give you a comprehensive overview of their product, company, and a professional written proposal. They should also be able to provide references, and have a solid history including membership in trade organizations, BBB, etc. Lastly, they won't use high-pressure, and should be able to give you a detailed explanation of how the whole process will go from contract, to installation, to warranty service should it arise... If the people that you've spoken to have not done these things, I'd keep looking. I would not consider a company that refused to put an estimate in writing, and/or refused to leave you any literature to review. JMO. :)

JToddM

#25 Post by JToddM »

I see what you all mean. I had the Soft-Lite dealer out today. No pressure. Just told me about the product and brought the sample that I asked for. Clearly showed me his prices and then left. He came in around $7950 for the casements and patio door which based on the quality of the product seemed pretty reasonable.

Two more quotes to go, but Soft-Lite is in the lead at this point.

HomeSealed

#26 Post by HomeSealed »

Get the last two quotes anyway, but it sounds like you found one of the good guys. :D

Randy

#27 Post by Randy »

That's good to hear. Hopefully the next guy will be as straight-forward with you. See this doesn't have to be so painful. :lol: