Bryn Mawr II versus Simonton 5500 - What is Better ?????

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Michael

Bryn Mawr II versus Simonton 5500 - What is Better ?????

#1 Post by Michael »

Hello Window People !!!!

I have narrowed my search down to 2 windows, Bryn Mawr II and Simonton 5500, I have 15 windows to replace. 11 D/H, 1 106X47 3 Lite Slider, 1 42X42 Plate or Picture, 1 36x36 Casement and a small obscure slider. Quotes comming in for $6800 to $7000 for Simonton 5500 and $6200 for Factory certified Bryn Mawr II installer (owner does the work, 25 years in bus.). I live on Long Island, N.Y. and it's a tuff market. The old windows are aluminum frame so it's work to get them out. Any suggestions about which window is the better choice and best value would be of great help, thanks in advance for all feedback !!!

Benny

#2 Post by Benny »

Hi Michael,

If you can, find a building supply center that carries both and take a look at the sample windows they will have on display. You really need to decide for yourself which one you think feels & looks better.

I just had some simonton 5500's installed and I did compare the bryn mawr II & 5500 to each other in a showroom before making my decision. My opinion was that the 5500's seemed to be constructed a little better, operated better and had upgrade features available for the glass package that the BMII didn't offer:
you can get up to 1" insulated double strength glass w/superspacer (better than the standard steel u-channel spacer offered with most windows, for argon gas retention, and glass temperature)

The mitres on the sashes are shadow grooved (a nice clean look, not like the standard knife trimmed corners on most other windows) and the extrusion used for the sash has radius edges (both inside & outside) where it meets the glass, which looks quite nice as well. I'm really happy with my simontons, I feel I got a good window for what seemed to be a reasonable price.

Michael

Thank you Benny for your reply!!!!!

#3 Post by Michael »

Thank you Benny for your reply!!!!!