Replacement windows in Idaho

Share your experiences with others
IDHomeowner

Re: Replacement windows in Idaho

#16 Post by IDHomeowner »

Thanks for clarifying, Anthony. I can see where AI would be a good (though no doubt probably not definitive) indication of build quality in general. Unfortunately, I'm having a heck of a time finding actual numbers from manufacturers. If anyone has any ideas about a central source for this, I'd love to hear it.

I did find my way over to AAMA's site though to have a look at their ratings. I'm probably getting in over my head here, but as all of you experts will know, here's the sort of data it provides:

Manufacturer Operator Type Model Number Perf Class Framing Matl Perf Grade TAS 201/203 AAMA 506
GORELL H G5405 R PVC 50 No Yes

Some of these are self-explanatory. I'm guessing the H under operator type is 'hung' or 'hanging' or something. No? Performance class must be 'residential'. Performance grade looks to be a key figure. Is this a composite score based on a number of measures (with higher being better)? I'm guessing the last two columns are some sort of certification. In this case the window is certified under AAMA 506 but not under TAS 201/203. Is this correct?

Thanks again to all for their help. I'll confess that at this point with all the things I've had to consider my existing aluminum frame windows are starting to look better and better...

HomeSealed

#17 Post by HomeSealed »

R50 = a residential design pressure rating of R50. The specs that you have posted do not include the AI rating. I would not look at the Gorell 5400 in your area (it is a coastal application), but the 5300 and 5100 are good. Both will easily be under the .09 threshold that is preferred when the revised products roll out in the coming weeks.

IDHomeowner

#18 Post by IDHomeowner »

Thanks, HS. I was actually just using that particular Gorell window as an example I pulled from the AAMA listings. Sadly, these windows are not available at all in Idaho, which is sort of what brought me to this forum in the first place.

I'll do some more research, but it looks like it'll be a choice between the Ply Gems, Milgards, and Simontons. Ho hum. I guess these sorts of things are only problems in the first world!

TheWindowNerd

#19 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Definitely will not be concerned about windows in the new earth.
As you are finding out if a company does not make the AI an up front item or at least easliy accessable it is a sign of underperformance.

IDHomeowner

#20 Post by IDHomeowner »

Thanks again to all for the useful insights. It's nice to know there are pros out there who are so willing to share their insights with the public. I've learned a great deal though this board. I've not yet reached a decision, but I am getting (a tiny bit) closer. Right now I'm leaning towards either the Ply Gems or the Cascades, though I haven't ruled out the Milgards (though these are pricey). I like the idea of the triple glazing option offered by Ply Gem, but I can't find any AI info on these. I can see (as Anthony suggested) why this might not be a good sign. Cascade, on the other hand, does make their figures available and they state that their figures are AAMA and NFRC certified. For the single hungs the AI rating is listed as .06 and the pictures are <.01 (of course, they are picture windows). The structural ratings are cryptic to me though. They have the single hungs as LC-PG35 and the pictures as F-C40. Can someone tell me what these mean? Also, has the argon vs. non-argon debate been settled? As always, I appreciate any insights.

Windows on Washington

#21 Post by Windows on Washington »

LC stands for light commercial and is basically the same rating as a residential. C is commercial and is tested to a higher standard.

There is no debate on the argon vs non-argon issue. If it is available, get it.

HomeSealed

#22 Post by HomeSealed »

Windows on Washington wrote:LC stands for light commercial and is basically the same rating as a residential. C is commercial and is tested to a higher standard.

There is no debate on the argon vs non-argon issue. If it is available, get it.
+1. Most manufacturers automatically package argon with low-e anyway, so there is really no reason not to get it. It is inexpensive and improves the thermal efficiency of the unit.

IDHomeowner

#23 Post by IDHomeowner »

So all the talk about argon escaping from breather tubes is nonsense? And could someone please tell me what the numbers mean in the structural figures I sent earlier? Are those DP figures? Thanks in advanced.

Windows on Washington

#24 Post by Windows on Washington »

Are the windows going into a home that is 5,000 feet above see level?

If the windows are being made on the West side of the Rockies, I didn't think they would require capillary tubes anyway.

If you keep the window upright, argon is heavier than air and tends to stay in. I am not sure why you would be able to get a sealed IGU though in this case.

IDHomeowner

#25 Post by IDHomeowner »

Our house is at 4500 or 4600 ft. The windows are made in Spokane, WA and would have to travel over the mountains of over 6300 feet. Spokane is much lower at 1800 ft.

Windows on Washington

#26 Post by Windows on Washington »

That would require a capillary tube at that point.

IDHomeowner

#27 Post by IDHomeowner »

Perhaps the best thing to do would be to call the manufacturer directly and ask about how their windows are shipped. Thanks for the info about the capillary tubes.