Price for Milgard Quietline?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
skibum1981

Price for Milgard Quietline?

#1 Post by skibum1981 »

I have the following windows I'd like to replace with something with an extremely high STC rating (i.e., 45+):

Horizontal Sliding:
-- 4 windows approximately 70" x 58" each
-- 1 window approximately 58" x 58"

Vertical Sliding:
-- 1 window approximately 28" x 58"

I was considering the Milgard Quietline and I don't see really any other options unless I install basically what amounts to a storm window on the inside (a la soundproofwindows.com or Citiquiet windows). Anyone have an idea how much this would cost? Possible to install yourself? Advice greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Windows on Washington

Re: Price for Milgard Quietline?

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

What is the exterior wall of the home? At an STC of 40+, you will be in excess of most wall assemblies.

How bad is the noise?

What are the existing windows like? If the existing windows are okay, you can likely install a storm window and get near to the same net results.

skibum1981

#3 Post by skibum1981 »

I don't know how you want me to answer any of those questions.

Existing windows are decent: vinyl dual pane ply gem windows.

Noise is from 4 lane street nearby, mostly cars, some trucks, etc. I'm on the second floor in a condo on the corner.

Anyway, the point was the cost. Can someone give me a guideline on cost for Milgard windows?

skibum1981

#4 Post by skibum1981 »

I just got one quote for basically 2,000 for each of the windows, which seems incredibly steep...

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

skibum1981 wrote:I just got one quote for basically 2,000 for each of the windows, which seems incredibly steep...

They are not cheap unit. Having installed a couple of jobs of them, that number is reasonable but on the high side of that range.

What is the exterior wall type...i.e. is is brick, siding, stucco, etc.

What is the wall construction...i.e. 2x4, 2x6, SIP, ICF, etc

If you existing windows are okay, you can add and interior storm in most cases and it will give you near the performance of the Milgard QuietLine window and at a fraction of the cost.

You may also look for an interior storm window that has laminated glass.

skibum1981

#6 Post by skibum1981 »

This price that was quoted didn't even include the install. Yeah, no chance I'm paying 2 grand a window.

skibum1981

#7 Post by skibum1981 »

Windows on Washington wrote:
skibum1981 wrote:I just got one quote for basically 2,000 for each of the windows, which seems incredibly steep...

They are not cheap unit. Having installed a couple of jobs of them, that number is reasonable but on the high side of that range.

What is the exterior wall type...i.e. is is brick, siding, stucco, etc.

What is the wall construction...i.e. 2x4, 2x6, SIP, ICF, etc

If you existing windows are okay, you can add and interior storm in most cases and it will give you near the performance of the Milgard QuietLine window and at a fraction of the cost.

You may also look for an interior storm window that has laminated glass.
Thanks for your help, by the way. Can you let me know what I can expect to pay in price per square foot or whatever for these windows in your experience? It would be the 7120 + argon gas + third pane.

The interior storm window thing is a good idea, and I actually installed one from soundproofwindows.com. Unfortunately, they didn't quite work as well as I would have hoped. I also got a quote from Citiquiet to do the whole job for about 6 grand, installed (as opposed to 12). Does anyone know if Citiquiet offers better STC ratings than soundproofwindows.com? The citiquiet windows where 3/8" thick (3/16 + insulation layer + 3/16), 95% sound reducing.

When the Citiquiet guy came over, he said the walls had a very solid construction and didn't think any sound was coming through them.
As for what is the wall construction ... no idea.

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

I cannot get Milgard quoted out here on the East Coast any longer. They shut down their operations. Prices have long since changed since I quoted that job 5 years ago as well.

I am not familiar with the CitiQuiet window but that is an impressive piece of glass if that is 3/8th single piece thickness (i.e. 3/16 - lamination layer - 3/16).

That should do the trick.

Again...once you get to a certain point, you walls are the weak points so be aware of that.

skibum1981

#9 Post by skibum1981 »

From their website:

"CitiQuiet offers a variety of glass for all your soundproofing and thermal needs: 1/8", 1/4", 1/4" laminated, 3/8", 3/8" laminated, 1/2", 1/2" laminated, 1", 1" laminated. All glass can be chosen, clear, SuperClear (Starfire), Low E, or tinted the color of your choice."

The STC rating for some of these windows (also from their website) is:

1/2" Laminated CitiQuiet interior window: STC-38
1/2" CitiQuiet interior window: STC-36
1/4" Laminated CitiQuiet interior window: STC-35
1/4" CitiQuiet interior window: STC-31
1/8" CitiQuiet interior window: STC-29
3/32" Standard wood frame window: STC-13
3/32" Standard steel casement window: STC-13

Oddly, the 3/8" isnt there, but it's gotta be at least as good as the 1/4" I presume. Do you happen to carry interior storm windows? If so, what are the options, STC ratings, and price per window for a 58" x 70" window? Want to get some idea of how much I should be paying... thanks.

Windows on Washington

#10 Post by Windows on Washington »

We do install some interior storm windows but they are used in most applications for efficiency and air leakage reductions.

We are getting ready to use the next project for STC applications but they don't have specific modeling data for those applications as most of their business is aimed at efficiency.

The storms that we use also don't have the option of laminated glass.

uto

#11 Post by uto »

You can get a lot of information about Milgard Quietline windows by going to their website and clicking on the site-map at the bottom.

http://www.milgard.com/site-map/

skibum1981

#12 Post by skibum1981 »

uto wrote:You can get a lot of information about Milgard Quietline windows by going to their website and clicking on the site-map at the bottom.

http://www.milgard.com/site-map/
Already done this. What I don't have info on, and why I'm posting, is for the price.