Casement vs. Double Hung

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
JPB

Casement vs. Double Hung

#1 Post by JPB »

From the perspective of efficiency--which is a better window--a casement or a double hung? Inquiring minds...

windowshopper

#2 Post by windowshopper »

casement

Cheryl (Fenessa)

#3 Post by Cheryl (Fenessa) »

Casement

researcher

#4 Post by researcher »

Agree

Taylor

#5 Post by Taylor »

I did a google search on this topic a while back, when we were considering switching all DH to all casement. Casement is better in preventing air infiltration, no question. The down side of casements appears to be that they have to be completely closed when it rains. This effectively means that people with all-casement windows keep the windows closed all the time. I know in the south people do this anyway, but if you like to listen to the sounds of the leaves rustling and the birds chirping in the trees outside....

How significant is the energy thing? My impression is that any window is like running a freight train through the house insulation and low-E, argon, etc are just bandaids over that.... If air infiltration is that much of an issue, we are thinking now of going with wood storm windows over our existing DHs....

Taylor

casement inserts

#6 Post by Taylor »

Many replacement window manufacturers offer casement insert. Now I asked why Marvin doesn't offer this and was told that casement inserts are more vulnerable to failure due to bowing of the existing frame, Marvin doesn't want that to happen to their inserts. Others figure you won't mind as much since you didn't pay as much. Truth or fiction?

RC

#7 Post by RC »

Taylor wrote:The down side of casements appears to be that they have to be completely closed when it rains. This effectively means that people with all-casement windows keep the windows closed all the time. I know in the south people do this anyway, but if you like to listen to the sounds of the leaves rustling and the birds chirping in the trees outside....
I have casements and I'm in the south. Yes they are closed in the rain. But no they are not closed all the time. Birds tend not to chirp in the rain :-)

Anyhow, the main advantage I see to my casements is the perfectly clear view. No wood halfway across to block the view and light. No grids on mine. I mean after all, the purpose of a window is clear views and light. When open, the outer window tends to funnel air into the home, which helps with ventilation. I love the retractable screens, they stay clean since they are on the inside and away from bugs, pollen. The views are perfectly clear when the window is closed since the screen is retracted. I switched from horizontal aluminum framed gliders to Pella Architecture series with Rolscreens.

researcher

#8 Post by researcher »

I agree with RC's post and would like to add to it. This house has all casements, nine of which are 23" x 73" tall and being that tall, bowing was a BIG issue. So this one of several reason why I went with renewal by Andersen, bowing is not a issue because of the composite materal they use.

I wish I had RC's screens, Renewal dose not offer that.

RC

#9 Post by RC »

You know, I think a patent must have expired or something, because ALOT of companies are producing retractable screens for windows, porches, patio doors, even garage doors! Phantom screens are often shown on This Old House TV shows, for instance. Today they showed an entire porch with remote control retractable screens. Very cool. Its such an obvious marketing advantage, I would wager most window manufacturers will be offering them in a few years.

researcher

#10 Post by researcher »

RC or anyone, are they difficult to repair or replace?

windowshopper

#11 Post by windowshopper »

I never thought about having them closed in the rain, thanks for the comment. One other issue I just realized is that my opening is 34 1/2 wide so I guess I would need a double casement. I saw a double on a house yesterday and they were very small width wise and I think in my situation it would be also by the time you allow for the middle section and split the difference between two sides. That is another thing to consider if you need a double casement.

RC

#12 Post by RC »

researcher wrote:RC or anyone, are they difficult to repair or replace?
The retractable screens? No, they amazingly easy to install (the Pella ones). I think it took me all of 10 minutes to install them and that was on my first window. They do come with a thin wood veneer than can be stained or painted.......really nice! (on the side channel/tracks and on the top piece that covers the roller) Of course these are on Rolscreens that are designed to fit the window precisely. Aftermarket retractable screens would probably be more work since they have to fit many windows, there would have to be some custom fitting. From what I understand Phantom screens will only let their installers do the job, but they do have a lifetime warranty.

RC

#13 Post by RC »

windowshopper wrote:I never thought about having them closed in the rain, thanks for the comment. One other issue I just realized is that my opening is 34 1/2 wide so I guess I would need a double casement. I saw a double on a house yesterday and they were very small width wise and I think in my situation it would be also by the time you allow for the middle section and split the difference between two sides. That is another thing to consider if you need a double casement.
I think Pella makes that width if you want a single casement.

JPB

#14 Post by JPB »

Thanks for the responses. :)

Based on the pricing I've received--casements are less expensive than double hungs. I wondered whether the lower price equated to lower quality. I spoke with an Andersen rep and she explained that the price difference is do, primarily, to the fact that the double hung is a more complicated window. She added that economies of scale kick in because the casement is a more popular window.