SE Michigan - Vinyl or Wood? Double or Triple Pane?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
justinham01

SE Michigan - Vinyl or Wood? Double or Triple Pane?

#1 Post by justinham01 »

We are looking at replacing 13 windows in a Red Brick Ranch:
9 are DH and 3 are casements w/ 1 Picture/Fixed.

Brands Reviewed:
Vinyl: Sunrise ($6,700)
Alum Clad/Wood: Marvin ($13,300 - total replacement) & Lincoln (no price yet)
Comp: Renewal by Anderson ($11,400)

Our requirements are:
White Interior / White Exterior (in Red Brick w/ Plaster Interior)
Energy Efficient - atleast double pane low-e w/ argon.
Attractive Window (I know it usually is somewhat bias)

Questions:
What other brands should I look at?
Simonton Impression 9800 seems to be mentioned here by Cheryl.
The closest Schuco dealer (Ohio) seems to be one that prices them high (according to Cheryl). Anyone know of a Schuco dealer closer than Ohio that would have decent installation & pricing?

We are located in Farmington Hills, MI 48334

Thanks,
Justin

lori

#2 Post by lori »

If I were getting vinyl, I would look at Schuco, Alside, Simonton, and Certainteed based on what I have read on this site. My parents have Certainteed and I think they are very nice. They really like them.

I did look at Sunrise the other day. I wanted to see what the "oak" vinyl interior looked like, but I didn't like it compared to real wood. I know real wood is a pain, but I love the way it looks stained.

If you want white interior, why even consider wood? Wood can be a pain. (But I love it.)

windowshopper

#3 Post by windowshopper »

Certainteed uses swiggle spacer in some areas of the states. I don!t know how much of an issues that would be. Also it seems that different companies make their windows for them which seems could create a possibility of different levels of consistency. I like their window very much but I live in the Northeast and they sell the Certainteed Bryn Mawr II with swiggle spacers here which is making me hesitate to consider having them installed.

windowrep

#4 Post by windowrep »

windowshopper
what kind of trouble have you had in the past with the swiggle seal spacer?

windowshopper

#5 Post by windowshopper »

I have not had trouble with them, in fact I am not aware of if I ever had them anywhere I have lived. It seems like an older technology and one window person who came to my home selling a window with swiggle spacer had stated that they changed to a darker color of the material so it was not as easy to see something happen with it I don!t remember what exactly it was.

I have seen comments that if it is done right it is ok but that is the thing I don!t know how it is done and how good or effective it is on the Bryn Mawr II window. It seems that Certainteed has a good reputation as a company and has been in business for a long time, I don!t know why they choose to use different spacers in different areas. Unfortunately I am unable to hear any comments about how the swiggle performs in the Bryn Mawr II from anyone in the industry that is familiar with them. I have had window people out to the house that would tell you to buy anything but.

Window replacement is a lot of money to my way of thinking and I don!t want to make a bad choice and have to live with it.

Cheryl

#6 Post by Cheryl »

If you are interested at all in the GORELL 5300 window (also a good window), then you may want to give "Your Window and Door" in Livonia a try. If you are located in Farmington, it's not that far from you. It is on 8 mile road.