Renewal, Marvin or Milgard

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
u8940

Renewal, Marvin or Milgard

#1 Post by u8940 »

I am replacing 8 aluminum sliders on a cedar wood home and have discussions with Andersen by Renewal, Marvin and Milgard, Pella and a vinyl company. I am leaning toward Andersen which seems to have a product Fibrex that offers the least risk. I am concerned with risks of clad wood (Pella and Marvin) should it fail (rotting wood) - I read about some problems Marvin customers experienced a couple of years ago. The vinyl did not seem to fit in with my house style. I am also leaning toward casement windows this time with the terratone exterior color and the wood veneer on the interior. Any feedback appreciated. Thanks!

researcher

#2 Post by researcher »

I orderd the casements by Renewal with terratone exterior and with the wood interior; should have them in about 6 weeks. I went with total replacements, (not inserts). Our home would not look good with a light colored exterior. It is important to me to maintain curb appeal; changing window types will affect this, for better or worse. :o

researcher

#3 Post by researcher »

I too was concerned with wood rot . I have heard that much of the wood that is used now comes from fast growth forest, this wood is more porous and is all the more accessible to rot. This was not the case years ago. I have read problems with wood rot on Pella in 5 to 8 years time. This may not be a problem now; I don't know.

PS. Forgot to mention that Renewal casements can be had with or without window-sills; no price differance. :D

Dean S

#4 Post by Dean S »

A few notes and comments regarding your posts from someone who sells Marvin:

1. Marvin had problems with rot more than a couple years ago; it was from 1986-1989 and it was because of a problem with the wood sealant. The company changed the formula without notifying Marvin. Marvin replaced many windows for free and gave discounts to many others until the abatement program ended last fall even though they were not at fault.

2. Pine in general tends to rot which gave birth to cladding and weather treatments for the wood. Marvin's cladding system is superior and I haven't seen any problems even with windows my company installed 10 years ago. There are several posts on this board that discuss Pella's cladding system which is not as good. When water gets behind the aluminum and is held there the wood will rot over time.

3. There are also several strings on this board that discuss Renewal unfavorably. The topics include cracking of the fibrex frames, high price and bad performance including air infiltration. The reps tend to sell the Andersen name rather than performance. Speaking of that, unless something has changed you will not be able to find the DP rating, R-Value and U-Factor. If they hide these indicators it should raise a red flag.

My advice is to spend an hour or two reading the posts on this board and do your homework whenever someone states anything negative (or positive) about a product. This includes my post. Go to the showrooms and look at each window brand you're considering.

researcher

#5 Post by researcher »

The renewal casement i saw has a DP of 35, U-Factor of .34, Visible light transmition of .48. I know the U-Factor is not the BEST, but it is not BAD. I think the cracking of the frames was during the instalation where the installer is inadvertently bowing the frame with force. If you do this to a frame that resists bowing, it will crack. The only air infiltration issue i found was with the double hung where air was coming in around some screw capes and is easily rectified, but this should not have been necessary. Maybe it isn't not now; i don't know. I found the window not to cost all that much, naturaly it will cost more for casements, wood interior and total replacement. As far as selling a name; i do not know. I shopped for windows. :o