Help!! replacement versus "new construction" wind

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
undecided

Help!! replacement versus "new construction" wind

#1 Post by undecided »

We are looking to replace our windows and my brother (the perfectionist carpenter - not unlike his sister) says we should not put replacement windows in because it will take away 3 inches off the already small windows (32W). He says we should instead completely remove the old window and frame and start from the beginning. I'm looking for advice on this. Is removing everything going too far (as my saintly husband would say) or should this be considered? Also, for any of you who install windows what is the difference in the price between these two?

Also, we had a guy come to our home who sells Schuco replacement windows and gave us a price of $760 per window (32x48). My brother thought this was absolutely crazy. Does anyone feel that this window could merit that kind of price??

Thanks in advance for any advise you can give me.

windowrep

#2 Post by windowrep »

undecided
you will lose some glass area on the replacement windows but no way will it be 3 inches. you can put new construction windows in the house if you don't mind redoing all exterior coverings around window[siding j channel ect] and redoing the trim on the interior of the house. alot of work and expense to save alittle glass area, which is usually covered by drapes or curtains anyway. maybe others here will lend their thoughts. good luck

nailbiter

#3 Post by nailbiter »

My understanding is that it is a more expensive process to install new construction windows, and it is best done if you are in the process of residing your home (Can anyone shed some light on what would happen if you have a brick exterior--is it still just as easy to install new construction windows as when replacing siding?) I am also under the impression that most window dealers won't install anything but replacement windows.

Dean S

#4 Post by Dean S »

I always recomment full replacement on younger homes, meaning 2x4 construction with drywall. The builder may not have insulated the windows, the frames may be rotted or out-of-square. Construction-wise it's always better to get the old frame out of the house.

I have a different opinion on the loss of viewing area. I've seen replacement windows with 4" less glass, 2" on each side, top and bottom. Surely it depends on the vinyl window company. See if you can get a corner sample of the window and hold it up to the frame of your existing window and you should have an idea. Smaller windows look terrible when inserts are used.

The cost is another matter. $760 per window sounds expensive for vinyl replacement windows when my company does Marvin full replacement windows (standard size, standard color, no grilles) in the $750 to $850 range depending on size, which includes new interior trim and capping on the exterior.

researcher

#5 Post by researcher »

I have 10 casement windows in which the exposed glass measures only 20 1/4" wide and if i went with inserts, i would lose 3 1/2" on the exposed glass; this would take it down to 16 3/4". That's about 20% less glass in a window this size. This would look terrible, (for this house). Of course the larger the window is, the less percentage loss there would be. So i went with total replacements. And no; they are not what i would call new construction windows, (did not have to go with new siding to to cover anything) but the house ends-up looking like it uas intended to look. With some window brands, i would have lost more than 3 1/2". :)

Guy

#6 Post by Guy »

Undecided,
What kind of brother offers his opinion but won't do the installation for you? I guess two perfectionist's on one job is a bad thing. My Son and I have the same issues and we work together everyday. I know many people really love that glass space. I myself don't even notice it at all. The only time I do is on a very small opening. I do agree with Dean's comment on total replacement if the house is newer and has the type of frame you can do it with. A total replacement requires a ton more work than the insert. Plus the fact that there is staining or painting to do on the inside. You can get Mellamine jamb extensions for the inside that will be pre-finished. Your color choices are slim though. It is however the best and most efficient installation there is. If you choose to do the insert method have your installers varify the existing frame is insulated. We drill small holes around the inside and back fill with foam if they need it. If your brother feels it's a high price let him do it and give you a ten year no leak warranty. Our businesses put a lot on the line after every installation. One small leak can cause a new Tom Clancy horror novel. By the way I'm just ribbing you on your brother. I have a younger brother like that. He's always complaining until you hand him a hammer. Then he becomes quite silent and usually runs!!! It's all in good fun. What's family for!!!!

undecided

#7 Post by undecided »

Thanks for the replies. I really appreciate the input. Our house is "younger" - 2x4's, drywall, alluminum siding on the back and brick on the front. We have been told by neighbors that they found walls with no insulation in them so that is something to consider. We'll have to keep thinking and researching it :roll: ! I would want to remove the existing window frames but my husband's "honey-do'" list is too long already (he's remodeling our bathroom right now and the whole reason this window issue came up is because we are adding a window where there is none. We have to match the other windows exactly because we live in a "planned community". Prior to talking to these replacement window companies, I had no idea that it was so complicated and expensive. My brother would do a good job but he lives 5 hours away and he and his wife have seven kids so he's busy.

I guess that Maryland is the place to own a window replacement company because we've had three companies come in and all of them were charging about $700 per replacement window. My brother should move here!!

Thanks again!!