new windows, replacements or both: a quandry!

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
floete

new windows, replacements or both: a quandry!

#1 Post by floete »

hey, all: I need some help re the windows on my new house:

I want to switch out the plate glass window on the right for three windows like the three on the left. I assume what I need are new-construction windows. Correct? But since I won't be able to exactly match the three on the left -- and since those three are really crappy -- I think what I need are three replacement windows on the left and three new-construction windows on the right. Are there companies that do both? (I live in RI if anyone knows of any good window people hereabouts ...).

The three on the left are themselves replacements. One possibility is to put new-construction windows in them as well. If I do that, will I wind up spending a fortune?

Thanks for any thoughts ya'll might have!

Guy

#2 Post by Guy »

Here's what I would recommend. Since your looking at getting new windows on both sides. I would pre-measure to see if both sides have the same opening sizes. If they do then remove everything on both sides. You can then order New Construction triple double hungs to fit each opening and keep their appearance the same. The right side will be easier to do because it doesn't have any vertical mullion posts to remove. Hopefully your framers put a continuous header spanning the entire three openings on the left. If so your in the clear. If not you may want to re-circle the wagons. Most the time they ran a full span header and toed in some 2x4's for the windows to mount on. You can usually tear out the windows and cut the 2x4's out of the way. The new windows will then slide right where they are suppose to. This way you can have both sides look ballanced. I will require a little more work in the long run. But it will look the best!! I hope it works out for you!!

floete

#3 Post by floete »

triple double hungs -- a great idea! actually, the openings are close in size but not exactly the same; the one on the right is an inch wider. is that small potatoes or will it make a differrence?

Dean S

#4 Post by Dean S »

Good advice Guy.

One inch probably won't matter. My guess is that the openings are the same but you won't know for sure until you open them up.

Guy

#5 Post by Guy »

I agree with Deans assumption. More than likely they are the same in size. If not, one 5/4 board added to a side can change that in a hurry. Just by looking at the front of the house in the picture. THe openings look mighty even to me. Good Luck and send us a picture when you get them done!!